Another lightbulb question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i replaced my T5's last night and I'm really not happy. I had 4 stock bulbs that came with my lighting system. They were 2 "aquawhite" and 2 "aquablue" so I tried to replace with what I thought was going to produce the same light. I bought 2 10000k bulbs and 2 actinic blue bulbs. When i switched them all the the colour in my aquarium is totally different. It went from a bright cool white light to a warmer brown light. Yuck.

So to achive the old look I had, the bright whiter look what bulbs do I need? I think the blues are right, when I run them solo I get a nice florescent look but aren't 10000k as white as you get for t5s?

You can get more white but the spectrum will be off. The whiter you go the more yellow or brown the water becomes. I like to use 12k or 14k bulbs for my whites and pure blue ones for my actinics.

so my tank now has a browner look because my 10000k lights are whiter than the ones I replaced?

Very well could be, my 20g is not very pretty to look at with two 10k and 2 regular actinics. Way too yellow.

What kind of bulbs did you actually get? And which ones?

Regular actinics dont seem to cut through the white/yellow as good as some really really blue ones, that could also be the color difference.

I got the coralife ones that were on sale. 4 39w T5HO 36inch. It actually changed the color of the liverock to a more browny than the grey from before.

What if I swap out a 10000k for another blue so I'd have 3 blue and one white, would that effect the coral at all? Is 39watts just 39watts no matter what color?

You can add another blue but if it were me I would get 2 higher spectrum bulbs for the whites. Like an ATI aquablue special or an ATI coral plus. Those will knock the yellow right out of the tank

Anytime. :)

When you change out the bulbs take some before and after pictures. You will be amazed at the difference.

Back
Top Bottom