Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-16-2005, 11:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
another lighting question, definitions needed

I'm researching lighting for a 29 bow. I am considering the 24" 2x65w versions of each of the following models:

To begin, how does this look for my aquarium size? What will I be able / not be able to keep under these lights?

Also, some terms I need help with:
blue light
dual actinic
true actinic 03 (what's the 03?)

Any thoughts on these lighting options for my tank size?

Thanks for anybody who takes the time to help with this! : )

copi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
also "super actinic?"

copi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
That's plenty of light. You want to shoot for 3 to 5 wpg. That's appx 4.5 wpg and should be enough for most corals and anemones. I could be wrong but I think those are all just names for the same thing. It may be an intensity issue but I don't think so. Someone else can answer that one more fully.
Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would recommend the Current USA Satiellete Dual 96 watt fixture. I use it, and it works great. It would give you 6 watts per gallon which is more than enough light, but not too much light for most corals.

This with a timer works great.
Want a great read check out my debut novel Neptune's Garden: www.neptunesgardenbook.com
macman7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
"The original "Actinic 03" bulb was made by Philips. They were not made for aquarium use, but were adopted once news spread about the beneficial aspects of using this bulb over reef tanks. Nowadays, "Actinic 03" has become the marketing term used to identify "blue" looking bulbs. Many bulbs are passed off as "actinic", when they are just a blue bulb.
So, to answer the question, Blue 7,100K bulbs are visually brighter than HelloLights Actinic bulbs. Blue bulbs will NOT fluoresce your animals as well as our Actinic bulbs. Many others sell "actinic", but they are really selling blue bulbs. The phosphors coating the interior of our Actinic bulbs are specially formulated to produce a narrow spike of concentrated violet/blue light. This is why they appear to be more faint than blue bulbs. If you have tons-o-corals, then we suggest going with Actinic 03. Remember, a visual measurement of a lights utility is a poor one." - hellolights.com

Actinic03 is the real actinic while other actinics are just a blue colored bulb.
Actinic03 gives of a purple light.
Paintballs look like bubble gum
14G starphire,150W MH+32W act03,AquaClear 150 HOB filter, 75W EboJager, IceProbe chiller, Remora skimmer, closed loop SCWD mag5, auto toper-offer.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote

light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com