Another Lighting Suggestion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pud2224

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking for suggestions for a light on a 10g tank that contains sand substrate, Java moss, sword plant (possibly bleheria or something), and a few male guppies. Have been dealing with some black feather algae too which I blame on too strong a light on too long. I will be purchasing a timer for any light suggested unless it has one integrated. Anyone with experience with my setup I'd love to hear your suggestions, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Tank

I'm looking for suggestions for a light on a 10g tank that contains sand substrate, Java moss, sword plant (possibly bleheria or something), and a few male guppies. Have been dealing with some black feather algae too which I blame on too strong a light on too long. I will be purchasing a timer for any light suggested unless it has one integrated. Anyone with experience with my setup I'd love to hear your suggestions, thanks!

Hello pud...

Small tanks can be difficult to keep clean. If you're not changing out half the tank water a couple of times a week, then phosphates from the flaked foods you use could cause an algae problem. Change the water more often and you remove the food source for the algae.

You don't need to use high end lighting for most aquatic plants. Research the lighting requirement of the plants you have and visit your local hardware store. A couple of clip on lights will likely be fine for your plants and cost just a few dollars. Get a little creative.

Above all, change out a lot of tank water and do it often.

B

Hello pud...

Small tanks can be difficult to keep clean. If you're not changing out half the tank water a couple of times a week, then phosphates from the flaked foods you use could cause an algae problem. Change the water more often and you remove the food source for the algae.

You don't need to use high end lighting for most aquatic plants. Research the lighting requirement of the plants you have and visit your local hardware store. A couple of clip on lights will likely be fine for your plants and cost just a few dollars. Get a little creative.

Above all, change out a lot of tank water and do it often.

B

Algae is caused by excess nutrients in the water. You have already established your issue, too high of lights and they where on for too long. Black beard algae is a pain to get rid of so I recomend a Siamese algae eater as they are great at eating it off the plants!

Bradbury is right, for a tank that size a clip on desk lamp at Walmart or Home Depot with a 6500k bulb in it will do fine for the plants you are trying to grow. What he is not correct about is "all plants don't need high end lighting" there Re certain plants that can survive with low lighting but truly need higher lighting, and sometimes co2 to flourish and grow. You have all "low light" plants so you'll be fine with a clip on desk lamp.

As for the water changes. You don't need to do 50 percent multiple times a week in that small of a tank. I've also known large water changes make black beard algae worse. I would recommend 2 ten percent water changes, add the Siamese algae eater and get the clip on lights. Set a timer for the light to be on for 4 hours, off for 4 hours and then on for another 4 hours. Once the algae problem is under control, 20 percent changes once a week is plenty especially with a planted tank. Anything larger is adding to many nutrients to the water, and your going to start your issue all over again

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm looking for something a little cleaner than the clip-ons. I'll do some research. I'll definitely be picking up a Siamese algae eater. I've been doing 50% wc/week (5g bucket makes it easy) so I'll try lowering that amount a while. Tanks been up over a year, no deaths too.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm looking for something a little cleaner than the clip-ons. I'll do some research. I'll definitely be picking up a Siamese algae eater. I've been doing 50% wc/week (5g bucket makes it easy) so I'll try lowering that amount a while. Tanks been up over a year, no deaths too.

The minimum tank size for an SAE is 30 gallons as per: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1086&pcatid=1086 Just something to consider.

I have many larger aquariums, so I buy them when they are extremely small. Once they outgrow my nano tanks I move them to a larger tan

I have many larger aquariums, so I buy them when they are extremely small. Once they outgrow my nano tanks I move them to a larger tan

Were talking about the OPs situation, not yours. We can assume the OP docent have a larger tank to move them to when they inevitably outgrow his tank. I would never recommend to buy a fish to "clean" a tank or remove algae as they often only do it for a small period as juveniles. You can beat black beard algae with regular doses of Excel as per the instructions on the bottle and H2O2 spot treatment of the afflicted areas. (y)

Were talking about the OPs situation, not yours. We can assume the OP docent have a larger tank to move them to when they inevitably outgrow his tank. I would never recommend to buy a fish to "clean" a tank or remove algae as they often only do it for a small period as juveniles. You can beat black beard algae with regular doses of Excel as per the instructions on the bottle and H2O2 spot treatment of the afflicted areas. (y)

I was suggesting to the poster based on my situation, and backing up why I suggested that. I'm glad you have used excel and gotten rid of the black beard algae, however I have had never ending battles with black beard, and Siamese algae eaters really help. I was also going to suggest doing a small bleach dip if the op could pull the plants out easy enough and explain how to properly do that.

I'm not going to give advice on things I haven't tried. Thanks though man

I was suggesting to the poster based on my situation, and backing up why I suggested that. I'm glad you have used excel and gotten rid of the black beard algae, however I have had never ending battles with black beard, and Siamese algae eaters really help. I was also going to suggest doing a small bleach dip if the op could pull the plants out easy enough and explain how to properly do that.

I'm not going to give advice on things I haven't tried. Thanks though man

Hey, Im sorry about my post above. I just read it and it sounded pretty bad!:ermm: BBA is caused by Co2 misbalance and excel can go a long way.

So you're saying excel will get rid of black beard algae? I honestly have not been dosing that much over the past few months, just here and there. I have it sitting in the cabinet. I better jump on it!

I have flourish, not flourish excel

Flourish Excel will work, however, Flourish Comprehensive will not. You can use API CO2 Booster or generic hydrogen peroxide. Spot treatment to the affected areas with a plastic syringe (pediatric oral syringe from the grocery store...under a buck). BBA should turn pink to red to white over a few days as it dies.
Mind you, these are quick fixes to the symptoms. Not exactly sure what causes BBA but proper lighting (intervals) and quality water management should prevent it from reoccurring.

Back
Top Bottom