Another Newbie protein skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCluett

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I have a 30gal long tank with crushed coral substrat and about 50 pounds of LR. i have been reading all the forums for the last month or so trying to figure everything out. after all my reading i would say i jumped into this alittle fast but in no way regret my decision. i have seen many arguements for and against protein skimmers and i am well aware that there is no answer to the question of should i have one, but what i am wondering is would i be safe to just through on an nano AquaC remora to help it clean it up along with PWCs?

Also what would you guys suggest for powerheads, i was thinking Koraila, but i wasnt sure which model i would need for my 30gal?

For the first little i plan on the tank being a FOWLR but later i would like to put some coral in. As for lighting i have lights that i purchased from a friend, but i do not know much about the lighting aspect of the hobby. all i know about them is one is blue and the other is white and they are quite bright. sorry about the lack of info on the lighting will check it out closer when i get home.

thank you for any advice or suggestions you have. maybe with all of your help i will make it through this.

I would go for 2 hydor 1s for your 30 gallon. Not sure on a skimmer, I use filters for my tanks. AquaC does make decent skimmer, from what I hear.

Welcome to the site!

I just use a skimmer and LR and a refuge.I really think sometimes that in a 30 gallon or smaller that PWC`s will suffice in place of a skimmer. Your lighting seems to be VHO lighting. Do the bulbs have any writing on them as far as wattage.

Ok yeah i was looking at the hydro 1s i thought that 2 would be more then sufficient but i wanted to double check before i bought them. as for the lights i will have to wait until i get home to check on the wattage but if it is a VHO lighting is it any good and what sort of wattage should i be looking for if i have a FOWLR set up, and if i would like to put in some soft corals later on? but if i did go with the protein skimmer would the nano perform alright on a 30 gal

I have VHO`s . I have a set of 2 50/50 and 2 super actinics. With one set like you have I`m thinking soft corals and some LPS corals. That`s if you have VHO`s.

ok i will definatly check it out when i get home thanks alot, as of right now i should start reading up on the lighting i am lacking some knowledge there

Welcome to AA btw!

I agree with Melosu, on a 30g tank it's kind of up in the air about the skimmer. If it were my 30g tank it would have the skimmer on it. I would probably go overboard as I tend to do and have a sump with refugium also.

Lighting is one of the more important aspects of reef keeping. As a FOWLR you don't have to worry too much about the lighting but as you move towards corals it becomes more important.

Check out those bulbs when you get the chance and let us know what you have.

Tried to have a look at the lights last night and couldnt see any watts printed on it, i didnt have time to completly take it apart since i had to go pick up my QT and start trying to clean it up. i will have another look at it tonight

Back
Top Bottom