Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Another RO/DI question

Well a faucet that will be close to my 75 gal when it is ready to have water put in it... Is outside. It will be the easiest I think to just take a hose and run it into the RO/DI unit and then into a 55 gal drum and then into another smaller can until i get the 90 gal I need as I have a 20 gal sump. I wont need a full 90 but close to. My question: We moved into this house over the summer and when I was filling 5 gal buckets to cure cement I used this faucet. The water coming out of the faucet I want to use is brown/orange-ish. Will the RO/DI unit take care of any impurities/ metals/copper / whatever else might be in the tainted pipes/water?

Old 02-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

SpectraPure MaxPure MPDI Systems incorporate high-flow high-rejection TFC membranes, a 1 micron sediment filter, a 10 micron carbon block filter, and a custom formulated 10” color-change DI cartridge. MPDI systems are available from 25 to 180 GPD (95 to 680 LPD) production rate, and come with a 3/4” garden hose adapter.
Ultra-high purity water at an economical price; water purification systems maximizing pure water production through application of the laboratory grade deionization resins used in our specialty deionization cartridges
High-silicate removal membranes
High-efficiency MicroTec 1 micron Sediment Pre-Filter
High-capacity Carbon Block Pre-Filter
SilicaBuster Color-Change DI Cartridge
Clear filter housings
Filter wrench and garden hose adapter
Dimensions: 15" x 7" x 16"

This is the unit I was thinking of for the 90 gal water needed. Good Bad???

Old 02-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
IMO the better the water coming into filter, the longer the life of the filter cartridges.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
well said, the filter will remove it but you will have to change the media often.
buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostKnife View Post
The water coming out of the faucet I want to use is brown/orange-ish. Will the RO/DI unit take care of any impurities/ metals/copper / whatever else might be in the tainted pipes/water?
Yes, it will remove them but your prefilters will foul quicker and the resins/membranes won't last as long.

You can reduce the debris by running the water full on for 3-4 min before hooking up the unit to flush the line. Don't use a hose. That will restrict the flow rate. Just put an empty bucket under the faucet to keep from digging a hole in the ground where the water lands. That should clear most of the debris so it won't get into the RO/DI unit at the lower operating flow rate.

Check the faucet and pipes to it. Sometimes people do quick fixes to outside faucets that freeze with steel pipe instead of copper. This could be causing the rust like brown/orange color of the water.

Tags
ro/di

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com