Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
another sump questiin

I'm trying to conn. My 4 10g to one single sump. All tank r side by side.
Is there any way without using overflow for each tank?
I understand I can do one tank to another than into the sump.but with a overflow will it work.

BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

If you want to do them all seperate, you'll need an overflow and a pump for each 10g tank.

In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #3
i Drew a pic out on what im trying to do. it should show a better understanding.

the arrow = water flowing. without using any overflow/water pump is there any way to make water flow from one tank to another to the other n into the sump?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	24899  
Old 08-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Maybe if you drilled all the tanks and bulkhead them together, you may be able to get away with one sump, one overflow and one return???? Whats the purpose of 3x 10-gallon tanks in a row like that? IMO you can do so much more with one tank that is 4' or longer.
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
3 tank in a row is a nice view, these r my smaller tank.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
What's the difference between setting up four overflows or setting up three siphons and an overflow? It's really the same amount of work. Really, you should use overflows from tank to tank to prevent the flooding problems associated with a siphon.

Setting up the tanks in series, like you drew in the picture, will create a flood faster than setting up the tanks in parallel with four overflows. If an overflow in the series setup fails, you'll end up with all the return pump water on the flow very shortly. In the parallel setup, if an overflow fails, you'll only end up with a quarter of the return pump water on the floor.

I suppose it's possible to build a waterfall setup, but it'd take a bit of work.

BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com