Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-25-2005, 10:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Any Ideas on How to set up

Not exactly sure how to set up the filtration system in my tank. I talked to several a few nights ago and later came to the conclussion I really screwed up the explanation. It was previously a 76g custom reef tank. I wan't to go FW. Here is my take on the system but I am probably clueless. I orginally intended just to cut it out and use a canister but was told the system worked great and woud like to save the money for other goodies. I think the water runs through the combs and spills into compartment A. Compartment A has two areas a half inch wall running the width of the tank and then a larger rectangular area running vertically against one wall. The wall between A and B has a small rectangular cut out for water to pass from A to B. Compartment B sets higher and has an angled top to direct water to spill into Compartment C. Compartment C has a second compartment (not viewable in the base that looks like an area to feed an air source. Along the bottom of the wall between Compartment C and D is a trianglular cut out allowing water to flow into D. Compartment D I would have a siphon leading into Compartment E. E would then have a powerhead to direct the water over A and back into the tank. Compartment E and B are connected (running under C and D) by a passage. I assume a pump is placed in the base of B directed vertically. I probably have this all screwed up and is much simpler than I have made it. So water from the tank spills into A. Water then moves due to current through the rectangular cutout up B and spills into C which would have a foam filter covering bioballs or mesh with an airstone positioned to in base. Water would be filtered and pased throught the triangle cutout in the base wall shared with C and D. D would have addtional filter along with siphon into E. E will then have a head pushing water back into the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aquarium_011_478.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1660  

Lepomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:31 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What you have pictured there is a sump. From the looks and description are you saying this is attached to the tank? Looks like its part of the back of the tank. Sumps are more used for SW but there are FW applications aswell. Cant tell from the description or the photo but is there a spot where it looks like water would trickle thru a plate or anything? If so you can purchase whats called "bio balls" and use that as a form of a filter.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com