Any oppinions about Kent R/O Right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsaraber

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have horrible tap water so we've been using straight distilled water in our tanks which has worked great so far (mixing tap with distilled never gave us any decent results). We add Seachem's Neutral Regulator, Equilibrium and FreshTrace to the water to make it more suitable for the fish. (We also add something for the slime coat)..

Anyway - I was searching the net for something that might make the process a little less painful (darn Equilibrium just doesn't want to dissolve) and I ran across Kent R/O Right.

Anyone have any experience with this? We need something to raise the KH and GH of the distilled water, as well as adding all of the trace elements and such. This product seems to have that covered AND they have a liquid form which I'm pretty sure wouldn't give us any problems in the dissolving department. :lol:

We have all freshwater tanks btw with bettas, angelfish and gourami mostly.

Tell us why the tap water is so horrible... Is it high-mineral well water?

I (and many others here) don't generally recommend adding a neutral regulator or anything similar to the tank's water because of the buffers these products use, and because of their tendency to offset fine nutrient balances in the water. With the phosphate buffers in the neutral regulator, I used to got nasty green algal blooms in my tank every few weeks!

To raise KH, I generally add backing soda (Not baking powder), and to make up for lost trace minerals, I add "Fluorish Trace." Both of these products are safe and do not contain added ingredients that might potentially hurt your fish.

Our tap water is very hard, very high KH and very high PH, not to mention contains a whole lot of phosphates. We have yet to have a serious algae problem. There is some hair algae in one of our small tanks but the other's are just fine. I tried mixing the distilled water with tap and the ratio was just crazy, like 7 distilled to 1 tap. Maybe that's normal, I don't know but it seemed really bad to me considering most people recommend a 50/50 mix.

What do you use to raise the GH?

The R/O Right is Phosphate free btw..

I just started using R/O right and I can tell you that the powder form dissolves very quickly and easily in water and I think it is a better value than the liquid would be. I put the recommended amount in a bucket and pour in the water and it dissolves without any extra stirring.

Thanks Savga.. What kind of readings are you coming up with using the R/O Right? (such as KH, GH & PH)...

I had tried using electro right and it made the PH go sky high - kinda defeated the purpose...

Back
Top Bottom