Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any recommendations for a good supplementary filter for a 29 gallon aquarium.

I would like some help on finding a good supplementary filter for my aquarium.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I already have an old tetra whisper power filter 30 running along side my ehiem canister. I find the canister filter is not powerful enough though I do regular maintenance on it. I would like to replace my tetra whisper power filter 30 for something more modern and quiet.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleco1415 View Post
I already have an old tetra whisper power filter 30 running along side my ehiem canister. I find the canister filter is not powerful enough though I do regular maintenance on it. I would like to replace my tetra whisper power filter 30 for something more modern and quiet.
How much flow do you want in the tank? I'm assuming your canister is the 2213? You can add any small HOB. Aquaclear 50 would be a good choice. Aim the canister's spraybar along the surface. Along with the AC you'll be fine. Another alternative is to just add a powerhead, and run that along the surface of the tank to increase current and surface agitation.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
How much flow do you want in the tank? I'm assuming your canister is the 2213? You can add any small HOB. Aquaclear 50 would be a good choice. Aim the canister's spraybar along the surface. Along with the AC you'll be fine. Another alternative is to just add a powerhead, and run that along the surface of the tank to increase current and surface agitation.

I do have the 2213, I took off the spray bar because my aquarium has an led hood and I could not fit the spray bar in in because the only way the spray bar can fit is from the side of the tank if I did not have a hood. I think I might try the aquaclear filter but I would get the 30 because I am not using it as my main filter just support for my canister filter.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just went out to my aquarium store and bought the aquaclear 30. I did not use the biological material that came with it because my canister filter already has a lot in it so I just stuck another sponge in the aquaclear.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I just went out to my aquarium store and bought the aquaclear 30. I did not use the biological material that came with it because my canister filter already has a lot in it so I just stuck another sponge in the aquaclear.
You could just fill the HOB with filter floss. It will give you crystal clear water and the extra flow you want....
Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
You could just fill the HOB with filter floss. It will give you crystal clear water and the extra flow you want....

The filter is crap. The motor is making a loud grinding noise and it is over flowing. I was very surprised because I've had aquaclears on my other tanks in the past. I will bring it back because I have a warranty on it and I will probably get the 50 or buy a tetra filter. I tried fixing the motor by putting some Vaseline in the impeller but it still makes the grinding sound.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #8

Quote:
The filter is crap. The motor is making a loud grinding noise and it is over flowing. I was very surprised because I've had aquaclears on my other tanks in the past. I will bring it back because I have a warranty on it and I will probably get the 50 or buy a tetra filter. I tried fixing the motor by putting some Vaseline in the impeller but it still makes the grinding sound.
Aquaclears overflow when the media is too tall or too dense in the basket. What did you put in there? Did you try turning the flow-rate on the filter down?

Once in a while you get a really loud aquaclear, or a little piece of the impeller's magnetic base snaps off and grinds against the impeller causing more damage and lots of noise.

Don't go with another brand, stick with Aquaclear, just hope you get a quieter one.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
Aquaclears overflow when the media is too tall or too dense in the basket. What did you put in there? Did you try turning the flow-rate on the filter down?

Once in a while you get a really loud aquaclear, or a little piece of the impeller's magnetic base snaps off and grinds against the impeller causing more damage and lots of noise.

Don't go with another brand, stick with Aquaclear, just hope you get a quieter one.

I like the aquaclear filters for many reasons but one thing I hate most about them is the outflow. The outflow is placed near the top of the aquarium so you hear the loud water trickling sound. You will probably say fill the tank up more but if I do that the water will be right at the rim. I'm guessing the larger models have a deeper out flow so if I get the 50 instead of the 30 maybe it will be quieter. If that is not the case do you know any other good hob filters? I love the marineland bio wheels but the bio wheel makes to much noise even when the tank is filled up.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I have a glass top and used the excess plastic strip that covers the back to make "ramps" for the filter overflow:

It helped cut down on the noise and splash and directed the flow along the surface of the tank.

Tags
29 gallon, aquarium, filter, gallon, supplement

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com