Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pleco1415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 506
Any recommendations for a good supplementary filter for a 29 gallon aquarium.

I would like some help on finding a good supplementary filter for my aquarium.
__________________

__________________
Pleco1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pleco1415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 506
Any recommendations for a good supplementary filter for a 29 gallon aquarium.

I already have an old tetra whisper power filter 30 running along side my ehiem canister. I find the canister filter is not powerful enough though I do regular maintenance on it. I would like to replace my tetra whisper power filter 30 for something more modern and quiet.
__________________

__________________
Pleco1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleco1415 View Post
I already have an old tetra whisper power filter 30 running along side my ehiem canister. I find the canister filter is not powerful enough though I do regular maintenance on it. I would like to replace my tetra whisper power filter 30 for something more modern and quiet.
How much flow do you want in the tank? I'm assuming your canister is the 2213? You can add any small HOB. Aquaclear 50 would be a good choice. Aim the canister's spraybar along the surface. Along with the AC you'll be fine. Another alternative is to just add a powerhead, and run that along the surface of the tank to increase current and surface agitation.
__________________
mistersprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pleco1415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
How much flow do you want in the tank? I'm assuming your canister is the 2213? You can add any small HOB. Aquaclear 50 would be a good choice. Aim the canister's spraybar along the surface. Along with the AC you'll be fine. Another alternative is to just add a powerhead, and run that along the surface of the tank to increase current and surface agitation.

I do have the 2213, I took off the spray bar because my aquarium has an led hood and I could not fit the spray bar in in because the only way the spray bar can fit is from the side of the tank if I did not have a hood. I think I might try the aquaclear filter but I would get the 30 because I am not using it as my main filter just support for my canister filter.
__________________
Pleco1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pleco1415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 506
Any recommendations for a good supplementary filter for a 29 gallon aquarium.

I just went out to my aquarium store and bought the aquaclear 30. I did not use the biological material that came with it because my canister filter already has a lot in it so I just stuck another sponge in the aquaclear.
__________________
Pleco1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ian086's Avatar


 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Drogheda, Ireland
Posts: 3,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleco1415 View Post
I just went out to my aquarium store and bought the aquaclear 30. I did not use the biological material that came with it because my canister filter already has a lot in it so I just stuck another sponge in the aquaclear.
You could just fill the HOB with filter floss. It will give you crystal clear water and the extra flow you want....
__________________
Ian086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pleco1415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 506
Any recommendations for a good supplementary filter for a 29 gallon aquarium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
You could just fill the HOB with filter floss. It will give you crystal clear water and the extra flow you want....

The filter is crap. The motor is making a loud grinding noise and it is over flowing. I was very surprised because I've had aquaclears on my other tanks in the past. I will bring it back because I have a warranty on it and I will probably get the 50 or buy a tetra filter. I tried fixing the motor by putting some Vaseline in the impeller but it still makes the grinding sound.
__________________
Pleco1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleco1415 View Post
The filter is crap. The motor is making a loud grinding noise and it is over flowing. I was very surprised because I've had aquaclears on my other tanks in the past. I will bring it back because I have a warranty on it and I will probably get the 50 or buy a tetra filter. I tried fixing the motor by putting some Vaseline in the impeller but it still makes the grinding sound.
Aquaclears overflow when the media is too tall or too dense in the basket. What did you put in there? Did you try turning the flow-rate on the filter down?

Once in a while you get a really loud aquaclear, or a little piece of the impeller's magnetic base snaps off and grinds against the impeller causing more damage and lots of noise.

Don't go with another brand, stick with Aquaclear, just hope you get a quieter one.
__________________
mistersprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pleco1415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 506
Any recommendations for a good supplementary filter for a 29 gallon aquarium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
Aquaclears overflow when the media is too tall or too dense in the basket. What did you put in there? Did you try turning the flow-rate on the filter down?



Once in a while you get a really loud aquaclear, or a little piece of the impeller's magnetic base snaps off and grinds against the impeller causing more damage and lots of noise.



Don't go with another brand, stick with Aquaclear, just hope you get a quieter one.

I like the aquaclear filters for many reasons but one thing I hate most about them is the outflow. The outflow is placed near the top of the aquarium so you hear the loud water trickling sound. You will probably say fill the tank up more but if I do that the water will be right at the rim. I'm guessing the larger models have a deeper out flow so if I get the 50 instead of the 30 maybe it will be quieter. If that is not the case do you know any other good hob filters? I love the marineland bio wheels but the bio wheel makes to much noise even when the tank is filled up.
__________________
Pleco1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Fresh2o's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 11,815
I have a glass top and used the excess plastic strip that covers the back to make "ramps" for the filter overflow:

It helped cut down on the noise and splash and directed the flow along the surface of the tank.
__________________

__________________
I am an ALGAE farmer.
Terms of Service | Community Rules | FresH2O's Planted Tank | Fresh2o's Shrimp Tank
Fresh2o is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
29 gallon, aquarium, filter, gallon, supplement

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.