Any recommendations on a good return pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm not sure why, but I've been having issues with my Mag 12 return pump. If you want, you can read all about my adventures in this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/fixing-a-sump-pump-131767.html

Bottom line: I'm done with Mag 12 pumps and I want to try a different kind. I'm looking for something that gets around 1200 gph. Can the folks here recommend a good reliable type of return pump that isn't a Mag 12? Thanks a lot.

Can you run 2 pumps? I use supreme water pumps for my returns, I have a 700gph on my 55 and two 950 gph's on my 210. I like running twin pumps incase one goes out im not stuck without a pump.

Supreme Mag Drive Water Pumps from Danner
these are the cheapest ive personally found them. thankfully the reef store I use matches these prices too.

I can run two pumps, and it would probably be a better idea to do that, though I would need to change the way my plumbing works to do that... the pumps you linked look a lot like the ones I have that are failing -- I will have to double-check that.

I run two return pumps on my 125. I run a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 . You`ll be better off doing that and you wont believe the flow in your tank.

Adam, is your pump internal to the sump or external?
There are plenty of choices in either mode. Most of them are quite good. Your experience with the Mag12 is quite unusual. My Mag9.5 has been running for 4+ years with just annual maintnenance (take if apart for cleaning and put it back together).

BTW, the answer to "how many programmers does it take to change a light bulb?" is NONE, that's a hardware problem!

The pump is internal. Here's a video to my most recent setup (where the backup pump is currently installed)

YouTube - Current 150G Fish Tank Setup

I know it's unusual to see what I am with the Mag 12 pump -- I've taken two pumps new out of the box and neither one lasts longer than 48 hours. I really like the pump but I'm just convinced at this point that no matter what I try, the Mag 12 pump isn't going to work there for some reason I'm just not seeing...

Back
Top Bottom