Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

sounds like a plan.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Just one caution .... the HOT Magnum is meant to run with the inlet & outlet at the same water level, if you have the outlet much higher than the inlet, the pump can't overcome the pressure difference & will not pump.

I tried that when I was thinking of using it as a return pump for the sump. By extending the inlet, I can have the HOT magnum take water from the sump & still have the outlet hanging over the tank .... the pump quit at about 1' of height difference, and the flow was significantly less even at lower heights.

Anyway, I had a female to female connector in the "junk" box than I got from the guy who sold me the tank, it fits the HOT inlet tube if you remove the strainer, and attaching that to a new strainer/ tube, I was able to extend the inlet. If you can't finds the connector, a short length of vinyl tubing will do. To preserve the water flow, you might have to extend the outlet as well so that it is submerged in the water ... <This will equalize the water pressure on the inlet & outlet side.>

Old 06-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong View Post
Just one caution .... the HOT Magnum is meant to run with the inlet & outlet at the same water level, if you have the outlet much higher than the inlet, the pump can't overcome the pressure difference & will not pump.

I tried that when I was thinking of using it as a return pump for the sump. By extending the inlet, I can have the HOT magnum take water from the sump & still have the outlet hanging over the tank .... the pump quit at about 1' of height difference, and the flow was significantly less even at lower heights.

Anyway, I had a female to female connector in the "junk" box than I got from the guy who sold me the tank, it fits the HOT inlet tube if you remove the strainer, and attaching that to a new strainer/ tube, I was able to extend the inlet. If you can't finds the connector, a short length of vinyl tubing will do. To preserve the water flow, you might have to extend the outlet as well so that it is submerged in the water ... <This will equalize the water pressure on the inlet & outlet side.>
Okay, I'm confused. I've been talking about extending the outlet (not the intake) the entire time. The intake isn't the problem. If they are both supposed to be at the same level, why is there a long tube that comes for the intake but not the outlet? Even with the water level all the way up the filter still is not working right. Which makes me think you're onto something. But why would they sell it that way?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's my fault, I'm terribly sorry.
I put intake instead of outlet in my reply and everybody else keyed off that.

But anyway, everything stated here to fix it still applies, just read outlet where it says intake.
All you need to do is cut the outlet (see I can get it right) in half and take the end piece you cut off down to the store and tell them you want a piece of tube that will fit tightly over it. You'll probably have to buy a whole foot as it's sold by the foot. Shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks.
Get a couple of STAINLESS STEEL hose clamps and Bob's your uncle. Push the tube over the piece that's still on the pump, measure as to how long you want the outlet to be and cut the new plastic tube to length. Attach the piece you cut off, put on the clamps andyou're done.
You can make sure the clamps are S.S. by looking at the housing over the screw part of the clamp, it will have an "S" stamped on it.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

My post still stands. Get a new inlet, fit on the elbow if you want!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #16

Thanks for the clarification. I'll give that a try.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:42 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambers View Post
Even with the water level all the way up the filter still is not working right. Which makes me think you're onto something. But why would they sell it that way?
I think the thing is designed to have the outlet (& intake) submerged, that way both see the same water pressure. <They have the 2 at different levels so the water will circulate top to bottom.> At any rate, if I have the outlet out of water, setting up a pressure difference between the intake & outlet, the pump performance degrades.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #18

Okay, here's what I've done. I cut the outlet tube in half and added a length of tubing in between the elbows, making the outlet tube about as long as the intake. The **** thing still will not prime, though. Which it wouldn't even do when the tank was filled to the brim before.

The directions say to fill the filter up past the Internal Flow Diffuser, which is so near the top that when I do as the directions say and clamp the lid shut, water seeps out the sides. I turn the filter on and not a minute later can hear it sucking air. I open it up and the thing is half empty.

How do I get this filter to work? I've tried it the "proper" way and I've tried extending the outlet tube. What else can I possibly do? I'm losing my mind here.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:03 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fill the filter up with water then close the top lid. This will help to prime the pump and get it started. Be sure to have the center tube in place also.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:13 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

What you described sounds like a leak in one of the gaskets. Did you check the neoprene washers in the center tube? If the tube is not seated, or if the gaskets are not lined up, it will not stay primed.

Also check the red D- ring gasket in the lid. I put a bit of Vaseline on it to help it seal. Finally, make sure both inlet & outlet are firmly seated in the quick disconnect coupling on the lid.

Tags
tube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com