Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Any Way to Extend Outlet Tube???

I have a 25 gallon tank with a newt (and hopefully more soon) in it, so I do not fill it all the way to the top in order to allow room for him to climb onto the driftwood and sun himself.

I recently upgraded to a H.O.T. Magnum canister filter, but had to fill the tank nearly all the way full in order to cover the outlet. Is there any way I can add a adapter or something to extend the outlet further down into the water? I've tried looking online, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated, by me and my little newt!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I looked your filter up on line and as far as I can see, you should be able to extend the intake by adding a piece of plastic pipe to it and putting the filter on the end of that.
You can buy the pipe/tube by the foot at most big box stores, Home Depot etc.

I can't tell by the pics, can you take the intake tube off of the elbow that goes into the filter?

Old 05-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruadh View Post
I can't tell by the pics, can you take the intake tube off of the elbow that goes into the filter?
I'm not sure. I gave it a half-assed attempt earlier, but it didn't come off. I thought the one on my Magnum 350 in my other tank didn't come off either, but found out later that it did. So perhaps it does and I just need to spend some more time with it.

Would any other aquarium tube work, or would you recommend the tubing from Home Depot? Like, could I buy the extender for the intake and use it on the output, you think?
Old 05-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can take the filter down to you LFS and compare to what's available, but every one seems to be a different size so it's not possible for me to say.
You might end up cutting the down tube and splicing in a piece.

I use the clear plastic tube when I do it that way I can see when it's time to clean them out.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #5

Well, I tried to separate the two elbows from each other with no luck. The diffuser itself comes off, but not the elbows. Would I have to do a do-it-myself fix for that, too? I took a look at the hardware store, but felt lost.

Extending the tube would seem easy enough if I could get the elbows apart. Since I can't, I don't know how to replace the elbows with ones that would connect to the filter or diffuser. Why can't they just include an extender, or at least offer the option online, for instances like this? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's run into this problem.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the strainer comes off, you should be able to use the appropriate sized tubing and a tubing clamp. I did this to replace XP tubes after a tank move and everything has been fine. The one possible problem I see is that the pump may be too weak for the additional head loss, but you won't really know until you try it unfortunately. The tubing at the big box hardware stores seems to always be hidden away somewhere in the plumbing section. At our local ones, it's on end caps that face the back of the store.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #7

I could see how tubing would be an easy fix for the intake tube. But wouldn't I still need the elbows for the outlet? It's not a straight shot, which is why I'm having so much trouble figuring this out.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
Thanx but no.....

cut it in half , add the extension in the middle

https://www.marineland.com/store/Int...50-P253C0.aspx
Old 06-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it's anything like my HOB you can take the outline off and replace it with an inlet tube that you can buy from marineland online. You would lose the elbow on the outlet but you would have the same length on both tubes.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #10

Your posts have given me an idea that I think will work. Tell me what you think. What if I buy two intake tubes, cut them to length and then somehow attach them with a coupling? That way I have the length I need and the elbows.

Any suggestions on the coupling, though?

Tags
tube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com