Any Way to Extend Outlet Tube???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chambers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 25 gallon tank with a newt (and hopefully more soon) in it, so I do not fill it all the way to the top in order to allow room for him to climb onto the driftwood and sun himself.

I recently upgraded to a H.O.T. Magnum canister filter, but had to fill the tank nearly all the way full in order to cover the outlet. Is there any way I can add a adapter or something to extend the outlet further down into the water? I've tried looking online, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated, by me and my little newt!

I looked your filter up on line and as far as I can see, you should be able to extend the intake by adding a piece of plastic pipe to it and putting the filter on the end of that.
You can buy the pipe/tube by the foot at most big box stores, Home Depot etc.

I can't tell by the pics, can you take the intake tube off of the elbow that goes into the filter?

I can't tell by the pics, can you take the intake tube off of the elbow that goes into the filter?

I'm not sure. I gave it a half-assed attempt earlier, but it didn't come off. I thought the one on my Magnum 350 in my other tank didn't come off either, but found out later that it did. So perhaps it does and I just need to spend some more time with it.

Would any other aquarium tube work, or would you recommend the tubing from Home Depot? Like, could I buy the extender for the intake and use it on the output, you think?

You can take the filter down to you LFS and compare to what's available, but every one seems to be a different size so it's not possible for me to say.
You might end up cutting the down tube and splicing in a piece.

I use the clear plastic tube when I do it that way I can see when it's time to clean them out.

Well, I tried to separate the two elbows from each other with no luck. The diffuser itself comes off, but not the elbows. Would I have to do a do-it-myself fix for that, too? I took a look at the hardware store, but felt lost.

Extending the tube would seem easy enough if I could get the elbows apart. Since I can't, I don't know how to replace the elbows with ones that would connect to the filter or diffuser. Why can't they just include an extender, or at least offer the option online, for instances like this? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's run into this problem.

If the strainer comes off, you should be able to use the appropriate sized tubing and a tubing clamp. I did this to replace XP tubes after a tank move and everything has been fine. The one possible problem I see is that the pump may be too weak for the additional head loss, but you won't really know until you try it unfortunately. The tubing at the big box hardware stores seems to always be hidden away somewhere in the plumbing section. At our local ones, it's on end caps that face the back of the store.

I could see how tubing would be an easy fix for the intake tube. But wouldn't I still need the elbows for the outlet? It's not a straight shot, which is why I'm having so much trouble figuring this out.

If it's anything like my HOB you can take the outline off and replace it with an inlet tube that you can buy from marineland online. You would lose the elbow on the outlet but you would have the same length on both tubes.

Your posts have given me an idea that I think will work. Tell me what you think. What if I buy two intake tubes, cut them to length and then somehow attach them with a coupling? That way I have the length I need and the elbows.

Any suggestions on the coupling, though?

Just one caution .... the HOT Magnum is meant to run with the inlet & outlet at the same water level, if you have the outlet much higher than the inlet, the pump can't overcome the pressure difference & will not pump.

I tried that when I was thinking of using it as a return pump for the sump. By extending the inlet, I can have the HOT magnum take water from the sump & still have the outlet hanging over the tank .... the pump quit at about 1' of height difference, and the flow was significantly less even at lower heights.

Anyway, I had a female to female connector in the "junk" box than I got from the guy who sold me the tank, it fits the HOT inlet tube if you remove the strainer, and attaching that to a new strainer/ tube, I was able to extend the inlet. If you can't finds the connector, a short length of vinyl tubing will do. To preserve the water flow, you might have to extend the outlet as well so that it is submerged in the water ... <This will equalize the water pressure on the inlet & outlet side.>

Just one caution .... the HOT Magnum is meant to run with the inlet & outlet at the same water level, if you have the outlet much higher than the inlet, the pump can't overcome the pressure difference & will not pump.

I tried that when I was thinking of using it as a return pump for the sump. By extending the inlet, I can have the HOT magnum take water from the sump & still have the outlet hanging over the tank .... the pump quit at about 1' of height difference, and the flow was significantly less even at lower heights.

Anyway, I had a female to female connector in the "junk" box than I got from the guy who sold me the tank, it fits the HOT inlet tube if you remove the strainer, and attaching that to a new strainer/ tube, I was able to extend the inlet. If you can't finds the connector, a short length of vinyl tubing will do. To preserve the water flow, you might have to extend the outlet as well so that it is submerged in the water ... <This will equalize the water pressure on the inlet & outlet side.>

Okay, I'm confused. I've been talking about extending the outlet (not the intake) the entire time. The intake isn't the problem. If they are both supposed to be at the same level, why is there a long tube that comes for the intake but not the outlet? Even with the water level all the way up the filter still is not working right. Which makes me think you're onto something. But why would they sell it that way?

That's my fault, I'm terribly sorry.
I put intake instead of outlet in my reply and everybody else keyed off that.

But anyway, everything stated here to fix it still applies, just read outlet where it says intake.
All you need to do is cut the outlet (see I can get it right) in half and take the end piece you cut off down to the store and tell them you want a piece of tube that will fit tightly over it. You'll probably have to buy a whole foot as it's sold by the foot. Shouldn't be more than a couple of bucks.
Get a couple of STAINLESS STEEL hose clamps and Bob's your uncle. Push the tube over the piece that's still on the pump, measure as to how long you want the outlet to be and cut the new plastic tube to length. Attach the piece you cut off, put on the clamps andyou're done.
You can make sure the clamps are S.S. by looking at the housing over the screw part of the clamp, it will have an "S" stamped on it.

My post still stands. Get a new inlet, fit on the elbow if you want!!!

Even with the water level all the way up the filter still is not working right. Which makes me think you're onto something. But why would they sell it that way?

I think the thing is designed to have the outlet (& intake) submerged, that way both see the same water pressure. <They have the 2 at different levels so the water will circulate top to bottom.> At any rate, if I have the outlet out of water, setting up a pressure difference between the intake & outlet, the pump performance degrades.

Okay, here's what I've done. I cut the outlet tube in half and added a length of tubing in between the elbows, making the outlet tube about as long as the intake. The **** thing still will not prime, though. Which it wouldn't even do when the tank was filled to the brim before.

The directions say to fill the filter up past the Internal Flow Diffuser, which is so near the top that when I do as the directions say and clamp the lid shut, water seeps out the sides. I turn the filter on and not a minute later can hear it sucking air. I open it up and the thing is half empty.

How do I get this filter to work? I've tried it the "proper" way and I've tried extending the outlet tube. What else can I possibly do? I'm losing my mind here.

Fill the filter up with water then close the top lid. This will help to prime the pump and get it started. Be sure to have the center tube in place also.

What you described sounds like a leak in one of the gaskets. Did you check the neoprene washers in the center tube? If the tube is not seated, or if the gaskets are not lined up, it will not stay primed.

Also check the red D- ring gasket in the lid. I put a bit of Vaseline on it to help it seal. Finally, make sure both inlet & outlet are firmly seated in the quick disconnect coupling on the lid.

Back
Top Bottom