Anyone have a ghost shrimp colony?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 7 and 1 Amano that came with some plants. They are cool and fun to watch. So far they dont seem to clean all that well, but I like them just the same. None of my fish are snacking on them at the moment, but I do have fish that will grow much larger. (Angels)

Ya, my GBR is only a few months old but when he gets full grown he might try to eat a few

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got 7 as well...can't say I've seen them do much housekeeping either but they are fun to watch anyway. My Betta has tried to nibble at the smaller ones a time or two, but he's slow and lazy enough that he gives up after a couple tries.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You haven't had your ghost shrimp breed?

Really, I've never heard of this... is it true for all shrimp?

No, the neocaridina varieties (such as red cherry shrimp) breed readily in freshwater conditions.

Unfortunately Hailey and Dallas are right- you won't get babies/won't be able to sustain a ghost shrimp colony. However the red cherry shrimp and others in that family will. It's because they skip the larval stage that they need salt for.

There are a bunch of varieties in that family. That said ghost shrimp are bigger and will eat them so if you switch over you will want to take the ghosts out of the tank first

I have one little guy and he's awesome :) I'm thinking about getting a few more. Whenever I walk into my room, he comes right up to the glass and watches me! He's such a character :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421548306.321425.jpg

Well I have a 55 gallon tank that I was using to house them when I had a ray in my 100 gallon and there has definitely been some breeding going on every week or so I see another small one so they have to be breeding somehow. There was only 10 or so in there and now there's about 20 maybe 25.

I'm pretty sure they do breed with out salt water.

I thought they only bred in brackish conditions but I was corrected on another thread. People collect them all over in fresh water. Ask Jetajockey about it, he's the one who told me they don't necessarily need salt. Just depends on the species.

Back
Top Bottom