Anyone have Experience with PM Skimmers ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SirLight1337

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im looking to get a skimmer for my new 40g reef only system, and dont wanna spend 3-400 bucks on a skimmer thats meant to skim a 150+ gallon tank. Anyone have any experience with the Precision Marine stuff ? Specifically the ES100 ? Or should i stick with a Euro Reef or somethin along those lines ?

I would recommend the Sea Clone 100. Its 80-100 bucks and works well.

why use a HOB skimmer on a 40gal reef with a 20gal sump ? I want to get away from the loud obnoxious micro bubbles that seem to go hand in hand with the bakpak. ah well, ill just get a euro reef or similar.

I'd try to go with an in-sump skimmer...but if you've already organized the sump and don't have room, I'd suggest the CPR bak-pak...but get the newer ones that come with a Maxi-jet and not the Rio pump. WAY more efficient, and its a more reliable pump.

Let me just say this about HOB vs sump. I have a single bak pak skimmer with a RIO 800 and producing good dark tea green colored skimmate. Now in theory this should NOT be able to keep up with a RIO 1700 pushing into a CPR SR4. However, I had to send the SR4 back due to a mfg problem with the bulkhead. Anyway, I placed the Bak Pak back into my tank (75G) after about 2.5 weeks. The hair algea was starting to take major root. 2 days after efficient skimming and its starting to disappear..from places it was before! So, either the SR4 sucks somehow, even though it was skimming its nurtz off or there is something to be seen yet as far as a skimmer in sump vs hob. it seems to me that the smaller skimmer is kicking but and taking names because its in the main tank drawing water from the water column directly. This where as a skimmer in sump is taking water (at least in my case) from a 'skim box' attached to an overflow. I honestly think that the best place for a skimmer after this observation is *in* the tank. At least the pump that feeds it should be drawing water from the main tanks water column, not whatever happens to spill over. My observation.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom