Anyone have noise issues with a new Filstar XP3?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snorkel

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just picked up a new XP3 and it is super super loud.

I made sure to follow the directions and wait 2 min etc, actually waited longer and there was still air in it, then I shook it and lots of bubbles came out, that got rid of the air gurgling sound, but now it's all impeller noise.

I can here it from 15 to 20 feet away with the cabinet door closed, granted the back of the cabinet is open but I don't think I should be able to hear the impeller hum from that far away. I even have it sitting on a towel to absorb any vibrations that might echo from the cabinent.

has anyone else experienced this type of noise with these units?

I did see a few reviews of people saying they where noisy, but there where many more about how amazingly quiet they are.

Does it just take awhile for it to break in? It's been running for over 24 hours and it's still very very loud.
I could cover the back of the cabinet and line the inside with foam, but that seems sillly.

The tank water is crystal clear though.

Thanks,

Snorkel

No slime coat built up inside. It should quiet within a few days. It's not 100% dead silent, but far far quieter than the water splashing out of a HOB filter.

I thought of that and put some of that stress coat which is very slimy in the impeller well, I figured it would make it quiet for a minute or so before it got flushed out, but made no difference.

I did notice that my unit has a stainless steel impeller shaft, not ceramic like the parts list says. Stainless is more durable, but I believe much nosier.

I would not expect it to be 100% silent, but I should not be able to hear it in other rooms :-(

Luckily the place I bought it from will take it back for a refund no questions asked, so I may return it and get a ehiem 2026 for 159, which is 55 more than the XP3, but if it is silent it would be worth it.

malkore said:
No slime coat built up inside. It should quiet within a few days. It's not 100% dead silent, but far far quieter than the water splashing out of a HOB filter.

That is only true if you let the water level fall to much, my Aquaclear 70
was very quiet right out of the box, and the splashing only occured when the water evaporated down a inch or so. I will probably be putting the AQ back on while I return the Filstar :-(

malkore said:
but far far quieter than the water splashing out of a HOB filter.

What color is your intake tube, if it is black , you have an older version of Xp3. If your intake tube is blue you have the newer version. The older version had some issues with noise. I have the newer version (blue intake tube) and noise was minimal at first then after about a week or two it was almost silent. If you have the older version I would return it and purchase the newer version. A lot better quality and an overall excellent filter. HTH

Go Jebo-super quiet-super efficient-super reliable - - and a fraction of the cost of Eheim with all the same features as the pro 2 model at superfishstore.com Model 828 for $61.16 for tanks 55-125 gallons.

It's a new one with the blue intake and black spray bar, on mine the noise was no where near minimal, I put the Aquaclear back on and I can't hear it anymore.

I could hear that thing from 15 feet away with the cabinet door closed, with the door open I could hear it upstairs!!!

Mine has a Stainless Steel impeller shaft and I think that is why it is loud, on the parts list it says it's ceramic, but this one is for sure not.

Anyway I sent it back to petsmart.

Overall I was very disappointed with the XP3 in the noise department.

slowboattochina said:
What color is your intake tube, if it is black , you have an older version of Xp3. If your intake tube is blue you have the newer version. The older version had some issues with noise. I have the newer version (blue intake tube) and noise was minimal at first then after about a week or two it was almost silent. If you have the older version I would return it and purchase the newer version. A lot better quality and an overall excellent filter. HTH

I am sorry I didn't get to this post sooner as I have the Filtstar XP3 and it is an absolutely amazing canister filter, especially in the ease of setup, quietness (once you learn the secret of the noise), and effectiveness.

The very very very loud whistle type noise is actually caused by the spraybar. The manufacturer actually has a slight defect in that the holes in the spray bar are drilled to small cauisng the pressure of the water flow through the "too-small" holes to make the loudest god awful noise that drives you absolutely crazy.

I took a drill bit 1 size larger then the holes that were predrilled and bored them out a little bit and oooo sweet silence.....more silent then I have ever heard a piece of equipment - you dont even know my aquarium has a filter.

I am not a Filstar sales rep, I promise, but I suggest giving it another try! ;-)

That's not the kind of noise I had with mine, it was a very loud motor hum, the spray bar was silent, but the motor sounded like a freaking jet.
The impeller was in perfect condition and there was no nicks etc in it or the impeller well.
Mine had a stainless steel impeller shaft and I think that is the big noise maker. These motors only have one moving part so it had to be the damn shaft.
Other than the noise It really kept the tank crystal clear, when you have a tank in your living room it has to be quiet. the thing ran for 2 days and my wife kept asking my the fiter had become so loud.

there was no air in it either, trapped air makes a differnt sound and will eventually go away in a hour or so, quicker if you give it a little shake etc.

I think Rena must have some manufacturing quality problems or all the people that say they are quiet, don't really know what quiet is supposed to sound like (NOTHING :)

slovinator said:
The very very very loud whistle type noise is actually caused by the spraybar. The manufacturer actually has a slight defect in that the holes in the spray bar are drilled to small cauisng the pressure of the water flow through the "too-small" holes to make the loudest god awful noise that drives you absolutely crazy.

I have two rena XP3 running a 230 gal. I can hear them if I stick my head in the cabinet. Maybe it's got something to do with the surface it's sitting on.

All in all for the money spent I'm very satified with these filter. It's very easy to detach and maintenance. I looked into brands like Eheim and they cost way more.

My only problem is finding the replacement Media. We don't have a local petsmart and none of the LFS carry there product.

Back
Top Bottom