Anyone tried the Aquaripure nitrate filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Denitrators lower nitrate concentration, they do not remove the need for water changes at all. They are usually used in reef setups where the difference between 0ppm and 5ppm is important. IME they are not needed on almost any tank.

I am asking if anyone has used one. I am interested in providing the best water conditions i can in my aquarium. Please do not harass me again about the need for water changes. I am perfectly aware of the need for water changes.

I am not trying to harass you, I did not mean for it to come across like that. What I am saying is that those systems are expensive and can be hard to use. A water change will do a lot more for less money. My point is that nitrate does not equal water quality. You may lower nitrate to 0ppm, but you still need water changes to keep water quality up. I think there are better ways to spend your money to improve your tank.

Aquaripure Nitrate Filter

Hello H...

Sounds too good to be true. Product advertising that claims to replace something as important as a water change always "runs up a red flag" for me. Buyer beware!

Nothing replaces large and frequent water changes.

B

Thanks. I know water changes are important. Would just
Iike to keep nitrates to a minimum. Please only reply if you have experience with this product.

I bought one a year ago. I followed all the instructions. I contacted supplier who sent me new bacteria to restart. Still did not reduce nitrates. I just gave up. I will try an ATS (algal turf scrubber). Seem a lot more promissing, easy to DiY, and cheap. Suggest you research ATS before you spend money on Aquaripure.

I bought one a year ago. I followed all the instructions. I contacted supplier who sent me new bacteria to restart. Still did not reduce nitrates. I just gave up. I will try an ATS (algal turf scrubber). Seem a lot more promissing, easy to DiY, and cheap. Suggest you research ATS before you spend money on Aquaripure.

I had trouble with the filter performance as well, however like any living culture it can't be used mechanically. Some basic chemistry and micro biology research was required. Basically the bacteria that removes (actually breathes nitrates) requires anoxic conditions in the filter. In order to maintain these conditions you have to have enough bacteria in the filter to remove enough oxygen from the water. The denitrifing bacteria culture "eats" organic carbon and if the tank is low in DOC for whatever reason the filter will not be able to maintain stable bacterial culture. I can describe how I tuned mine, but it would make it for a very long post. The short answer is that it works and actually works better than some of the much more expensive models primarily because of the media. Denitrifying bacteria dies like all the living things and eventually clogs up the filter. In the case of aquaripure, the filter itself is pressurized so the dead mucus can be ejected by opening the valve completely. Other carbon based nitrate filters on the market require period media removal and cleaning.
Let me know if you need more detailed information and I will be happy to provide it.

Back
Top Bottom