Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Wow that's really strange! Really bad measuring errors on their behalf. I was considering the more expensive Python simply because the indicated measurements showed it was smaller... But you helped correct their error.

Anyway, you've been very helpful - especially with the pictures and (correct) measurements.

Thank you!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

No problem at all. If you need something else, just ask

Old 01-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've used both water changers and prefer the python but both do a good job. I also use mine in a bathroom sink and it works out well. I also remove the bottom stopper from the sink when I use the thing and it helps with drainage. Not all sinks need to have the stopper removed but it isn't a bad idea to have someone watch the sink the first couple of times you use the water changer just in case. I find that if you tie a washcloth around the top of the sink connection it makes it a lot less messy when you're filling the tank and shut off the flow from the tank side ball valve. Sometimes the back pressure can cause the connector to spray a little water around the sink area.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
I've used both water changers and prefer the python but both do a good job. I also use mine in a bathroom sink and it works out well. I also remove the bottom stopper from the sink when I use the thing and it helps with drainage. Not all sinks need to have the stopper removed but it isn't a bad idea to have someone watch the sink the first couple of times you use the water changer just in case. I find that if you tie a washcloth around the top of the sink connection it makes it a lot less messy when you're filling the tank and shut off the flow from the tank side ball valve. Sometimes the back pressure can cause the connector to spray a little water around the sink area.
I've actually stopped using the piece attached to the sink to change flow back and forth. Now I just thread the hose right to the sink which keeps from having the back pressure issue and fills the tank much faster. Only problem is its kind of a 2 man job this way unless you wanna rub back and forth haha.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae
I never use the valve on the tube part. I only use the valve on the valve assembly.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjohn20

I never use the valve on the tube part. I only use the valve on the valve assembly.
Darn straight! lol I avoid using it too if I have somebody around to turn off the water or open the bell at the sink. When it's just me the washcloth actually works out better than you'd expect. It stops the sink valve from making any mess. Everybody has their own workable way of using these things. I just figured since I always dirty a cloth wiping up a bit of water anyway it would be easier to put the cloth right at the splashy connecter to start with. At least when my little helper isn't around. ^_^
Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just close the top on the aquarium with the water changer still filling and walk over to the sink and turn the water off. Then I walk back to the tank, take the water changer out, flip the valve at the sink and turn the water back on to siphon all the water out of the line. Yes its easier with two people, but not needed
Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjohn20 View Post
I just close the top on the aquarium with the water changer still filling and walk over to the sink and turn the water off. Then I walk back to the tank, take the water changer out, flip the valve at the sink and turn the water back on to siphon all the water out of the line. Yes its easier with two people, but not needed
+1 agree here...I do the same
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got brass fittings for mine, because the plastic adapter was too hard to remove.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is a little off topic but can you use one of these to fill a tank In a basement from a faucet upstairs? I've always wanted to get one but I didn't know if it would work or if it was even compatible with the sink

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com