Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-01-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RobbieHadley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Roy, UT
Posts: 201
Anyone use Aqueon LED in planted?

I was wondering if anyone uses the Aqueon modular LED lights for their planted tanks, and if so how well it works? I'm new to planted tanks, and am starting off small in a 10 gal using fluorescent lights, but if all goes well I want to switch out the fake plants in my 55 gal with real plants, and I currently use the Aqueon LEDs (one day light set) on it.
__________________

__________________
RobbieHadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pleco1415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieHadley View Post
I was wondering if anyone uses the Aqueon modular LED lights for their planted tanks, and if so how well it works? I'm new to planted tanks, and am starting off small in a 10 gal using fluorescent lights, but if all goes well I want to switch out the fake plants in my 55 gal with real plants, and I currently use the Aqueon LEDs (one day light set) on it.

Fluorescent lights work better than LEDs in a planted aquarium. Aqueon LEDs are capable of growing plants that don't require as much light. In a proper planted aquarium you should always use fluorescent lighting. I have tried the LEDs myself and they don't work nearly as good as fluorescents do. You should have luck with your planted 10 gallon if you have the right fluorescent bulb and I would not change them over to you 55.
__________________

__________________
Pleco1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dallascowboys16's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Highlands Ranch, Co
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleco1415 View Post
Fluorescent lights work better than LEDs in a planted aquarium. Aqueon LEDs are capable of growing plants that don't require as much light. In a proper planted aquarium you should always use fluorescent lighting. I have tried the LEDs myself and they don't work nearly as good as fluorescents do. You should have luck with your planted 10 gallon if you have the right fluorescent bulb and I would not change them over to you 55.
Go get your self cheap t-5 fixture. look up oddyssea dual t-5ho 48'' fixture. I have one but am upgrading soon. It works great and I can grow almost anything. I got it for around $60 on amazon. No, Flourecents are not better than LEDs. The LED technology needed to grow plants extremely well. Look at river cats tanks lit by build my LEDs and tell me that LEDs don't work then. I myself am ordering a Build my LED because of the superior light output and par ratings. T-5 is by far the more affordable option but nice LEDs are the best.
__________________
55 gallon Planted Tank - 10 gallon Reef - 5.5 Pea Puffer
2015 AA Fantasy Football Champion
Dallascowboys16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Pleco1415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
Go get your self cheap t-5 fixture. look up oddyssea dual t-5ho 48'' fixture. I have one but am upgrading soon. It works great and I can grow almost anything. I got it for around $60 on amazon. No, Flourecents are not better than LEDs. The LED technology needed to grow plants extremely well. Look at river cats tanks lit by build my LEDs and tell me that LEDs don't work then. I myself am ordering a Build my LED because of the superior light output and par ratings. T-5 is by far the more affordable option but nice LEDs are the best.

No LED light can give off the same natural daylight effect that a fluorescent can. Sure the fluorescents might be outdated now but I've tried growing plants in one of my aquariums with the marineland LEDs and after a week They started dying. In my other tank I can grow my Cabomba plants a lot easier with the fluorescents and they don't die.
__________________
Pleco1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aqueon, led, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.