Anyone use the Aquarium Cleaning Machine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unfortunately a Python won't work for my situation. I have to bring in buckets from outside because my indoor water is softened. Then i have to let them warm up. I was looking for a power siphon so I wouldn't have to lift so much. Also, dumping 5 gallon buckets in my tank makes gravel go all over my plants.

That sucks. I invested in the python for my tanks and I can even use it on my 5 gallon, as long as I dont turn the water on full blast.

I just think that is awfully expensive, but Ive never actually used one before.

You can use softened water. I am on a well and all our water is goes through the softener, fish thriving for years, fifteen years now.

I worry that using softened water would cause swings in pH. Sometimes I can tell the water os really soft, and others it's hard and soap won't lather. So my softener isn't very consistent.

Then just test it. Mine also goes through a neutralizer that brings it down to about 7.0 but within a day or two it is back up to where it stays, around 7.8. The fish have no issues with this, even though my water changes are 80% weekly. Water quality is based on water changes, and NOTHING can replace water changes.

Water quality is essential, there is no way around it. What I recommend is to start with small water changes from the tap (like 10-20%). Do this a couple times (even if it is every 3-4 days). See how they take to it. If all goes well increase the size of the water change by 5-10% each water change until you reach the size water change needed to keep the nitrate under 20ppm before your weekly water change.

pH swings are bad. Have you considered a barrel, a python, and a high lift pump? I think you could do it for less than $200 and still save your back.

We don't even know there is a pH swing issue in this situation. We need to check first.

I have never even heard of that overpriced waste of time. You CANNOT replace water changes. I own a company that does aquarium maintenance and I have not even heard of that thing. Water changes, water changes, water changes, water changes.

Your point is 'is it worth it/does it work?'. As you can see no one has used it and even if they had it doesn't replace essential water changes.

Have you tested your tap to make sure you even need to worry about it? This entire situation may not even matter.

I never said I wanted to replace doing water changes. I just would rather not have to tote 5 gallon buckets up a ladder to do so. I choose to use my natural well water to avoid instability in pH. And I don't think the sodium is much good for the fish either. If you don't agree that is your prerogative. I like the idea of a power siphon to perform water changes water changes water changes! Is that so wrong???

Have you verified that there even would be instability with the pH? Like I said, I and MANY others use tap water from a well without any issues at all, are you even sure you would have issues or is all this effort pointless? Just double check that it is even a problem.

I would just buy a water pump. I use them to power drain tanks all the time. They would also be good to fill from a container. They would run $50-100 depending on which size you need.

Back
Top Bottom