Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i think you are confusing spectrum with color temperature.
as far as the mixture of color goes, corals will grow and do well in both instances. people just seem to like the bluer lighting due to the way it makes corals appear more colorful.
But that can't be totally true because color and temp matter to some extent or coral would grow under any lights right...

Maybe I am just confused.....

Old 05-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
color temperature is another way of saying kelvin.
Color temperature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

corals will grow under any lights with enough PAR.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
color temperature is another way of saying kelvin.
Color temperature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

corals will grow under any lights with enough PAR.
I didn't think that they would grow under things like halogen or anything like that because they all have the wrong spectrum.

This is exactly why I am looking to companies for my fixtures and not building my own....
Old 05-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm definitely going to get the ai sol LEDs unless someone has a comment about them. If anyone has an led fixture they'd like to sell me I'd be happy to buy it if it meets my needs
Old 05-08-2011, 03:02 AM   #55

As for how LEDs work and the relations with PUR/PAR/CRI/Lumens....

It is all very confusing at times.

The higher an LED is in k (ie.17000k) the lower the par. This can be offset by adding blue. Blue LEDs pack a ton of PAR. Turn your AI white all the way down and your blues up. Check the PAR....then turns whites up and blues down and check. You will be suprised....

So, balancing good k LEDs with the proper amount of blue is important....this is no different than MH and t5 actinic supplements....It's all about preference...I personally don't like the smurf blue AI SOL tanks.

When you add lumens then it gets crazy. Lumens is what we see. This may not be good for corals necessarily BUT it is great for algaes.... This is in the 500nm to 650nm range which is where the 6500k LEDs put a lot of their light out at.

Very rarely do you see spectrographs for LEDs. The equipment is expensive and testing is very expensive. Our industry doesn't really generate enough business to make these manufacturers run out and perform expensive tests.

I dont suggest buying anything other than a good name brand fixture with LEDs that you trust. Anyone can produce these things nowadays. The $200 fixtures you see all over are very inconsistent. High quality LEDs are matched/batched and held to high standards. Lesser quality ones can be all over the field....They may look the same to our eyes but they aren't.

Think of lighting like this....do you add chemicals to your tank that you don't know about? (we try not to....)
So why would we put in light that we don't know about......

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com