AP test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

How long do you let them react?

I did the ammonia and nitrite test last night. I let them do their thing for about 15 minutes (recommended is 10) and when I checked them they turned out 0. I didn't empty the tubes and when I looked at them this morning, the nitrite was still pale blue = 0, but the amonia was an orangy-brown (much like the 7.8 of the wide-range pH card). I know the ammonia card is in the greens, but I can't help but think that if I had waited longer then 15 maybe I would have seen that there is ammonia in my tank.

I also have the nitrate test from Nutrafin. It turned zero (no color at all) last night and this morning it was a pale pink (almost as 5). Again, I think I should have waited longer then what they recommend.

Thanks
Vero

I dont think you should wait any longer than perscribed by the test kit; the color cards are calibrated to be read when the reaction has proceeded for a certain length of time; If you allow them to react longer you're only adding error to your tests IMHO.

If you're refering to the tank in your sig it's pretty lightly stocked, and if it's only been set up a few days you might not have much ammonia in the water yet. Also youwon't see Nitrie and Nitrate untill after your tank has started to cycle (Nitrite in 2-4 weeks and nitrate sometime thereafter). Check out the articles section and read up on the nitrogen cycle; It was an eye opener for me.

The AP kit says to wait 5 minutes after the tests and then read. When the tests sit for longer time period, the results are not accurate. This is especially true with the hardness and phosphate tests. After about 15 minutes of those, the results are wacky.

If the AP ammonia kit only has 1 reagent bottle (thus, a Nessler based kit), then the test results are instant. the Nitrite kit takes 5 mins, no more.

The nutrafin nitrate kit isn't very good. To get fairly accurate results, you must shake the crap outta that 3rd reagent bottle. shake it hard for at least 30-45 seconds. After you add it to the test vial, again mix it for almost a full minute.

I prefer the AP nitrate kit myself. You still have to shake it a ton, but the colors are easier to read. I didn't like that nutrafin went from really pale pink, to less pale pink, to pale pink, to pink/fuschia...

AP's goes from yellow, to light orange, deep orange, to red, to blood red.

Hi,

Actually, I forgot to update my profile and there are 2 corys and 3 guppies in my tank. It's been set up since March... and I'm still hoping to see something on my tests.... maybe someday it will start cycling... I was wondering if maybe I was doing something wrong with my tests.

Thanks for your answers.

Vero

Back
Top Bottom