API Filstar XP-S @$#*&$##!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAura

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been having a lot of issues with my tank, so I'm starting to think that perhaps it is overstocked. I got the idea to get a second filter, a much better filter, for my 29 gallon tank.

I ended up getting an API Filstar XP-S. It came in the mail today from Amazon and I was so excited to get it all hooked up and running, that I didn't even bother getting out of my work clothes. :)

It's all set up exactly to spec as far as I know, and yet there is no water movement through the system. The XP-S is a small filter, so it only has one cartridge, and there are no spacers provided. So in that one cartridge, I put black the foam in the bottom, some BioMax on top of that, and the white floss on top of that. Maybe I'm using too much Biomax? I put in about 20 pieces.

I've tried priming and restarting it several times and it just isn't working. :( The videos I see are for the XP2 or XP3 and I can't make the connection how that translates to the XP-S.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm totally demoralized here. I feel like both an idiot and a bad fish momma. :(

Hmmm.... I've never worked with these. What happens when you run it with just the sponge and with nothing at all in the basket. Do you get flow then? At the times when you have no flow, can you hear or feel the impeller trying to work?

The first time I set up my canister I had the hoses switched. In was out, out was in so nothing worked.

If you can poke your finger into the canister hole that is the in, if you can't that is the output.

I took out the white floss, tried just Biomax on the bottom and black foam on top. I left it plugged in for 2 hours, to give it time to work. When I came back to it, the output hose has no water in it!

The sound the filter is making reminds me of what the cats filtered water bowl sounds like when the water runs low.

Good idea Barliman. I will try running it empty tomorrow. Wish I didn't have to go to work!

UPDATE:

After letting it run all night, this morning, again, the output hose is dry. :banghead: I called API and they called back (when I was in a meeting of course) and said that I should remove the cover from the impeller. Odd thing, I'd loosened that cover already because I thought it might be impeding the flow. So now when I get home I'm going to take if off completely, take everything out of the filter, and try running it empty.

Once I do manage to get it - or a replacement - running, does anyone have experience with layering media in one cartridge? :confused: It seems that my first configuration is the right one, but I still wanted to be sure. I can't put charcoal in there just yet because I'm medicating the tank.

About the biomax -- it had been sitting in my cycled hospital tank for a month, growing BB. It has been more than 12 hours in the canister with no circulation. Are the BB now dead? I'm planning on running the canister concurrently with my old HOB for at least a month to let everything stabilize. If the BB on the old biomax are dead, how can I safely clean and re-use it?

Sorry for typing a novel, I've never been good at short stories... :angel: and I figure the more info I put out there, the more it will help.

LATEST --

It's been a few days, so I thought I'd update this with all the stuff I've tried and what's going on.

I tried taking all the filter media out and running it empty. Then I tried running it empty with the cover off the impeller. Nada. I looked at it really close and realized that the problem was that there is not enough pressure in the filter, the output pipe is only 3/4 full.

The canister itself was slightly damaged when I got it -- one half of a plastic hinge that holds the lid down was missing. The clip still works, it still >thunks< the lid in place, but that piece is missing. API thinks that might be the reason the pressure in the pump is not getting high enough, but I'm not so sure. But then again, everything else about the filter seems to be correct and in place.

So I'm going to wait until Saturday for the replacement canister to arrive.

Got the replacement outer canister on Monday. I got it all set up and plugged it in. Again, nada. :bad-words: Not enough pressure inside the canister to push the water up the output.

I'm starting to think there is a leak somewhere. I've shortened my hoses, the tank is the required distance below the water line, I've checked all hose clamps, tried running the filter both empty and with the cover off the impeller. Nothing is working. So I called API and they are shipping me another motor. Hopefully that will do the trick. Otherwise I might just send the whole thing back and buy another brand.

The motor came, and the filter started right up. I'm so relieved, now with both the HOB and the XP, the water is clear as glass. Thanks everyone who helped me try to figure this out.

Back
Top Bottom