API Nexx and new food line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Had the pleasure of meeting an API rep today and he was pushing a couple of items. First, the food line, which seemed to be pretty interesting, they've done away completely with fish meal. That was the gist of what I was getting, but I know there are other specifics, I think the store is going to stock it so we'll see how it goes.

Second is the Nexx filter. I have heard about this filter in the past and just breezed past it, but it seems like a neat idea. Simple design, one twist and the entire filter section comes out of the base so no issue with leaks. The base still circulates the water in the tank while you are doing filter maintenance which is cool, no priming at all.

The other neat thing was that you can stack these filters onto one another if you need to upgrade. So rather than buying another filter, you buy an addition and it clicks into the original one and works in tandem with it.

The price wasn't terrible either, looks like they are retailing at around $90-100 in stores, not sure about online.

We are getting a few and one as a store demo so I'll update with the good bad and ugly, if there is any.
Just thought I'd share.

I have one of those filters it's great. Like you mentioned no priming, put the media in twist and plug in it's great and really easy to clean. I plan on replacing the 2 marine land filters it has and buy 2 add ons for a 125g tank.

Would recommend just by being so user friendly.

I think the fact that you can upgrade the unit rather than replace it is one of the best selling points for me, especially for a really large tank since something like an fx5 might be overkill. I know a lot of people are all for the overkill thing but really, if you have enough filtration to manage a clean tank and low nitrates, then why overkill it?

I spent a while reading the box, and I don't get it. Do the additions have booster pumps? It looked like the gph increased the more additions you had, but at a decreasing rate. Secondly, for the price I didn't think the gph rating was all that high on the base unit. I'm not in the market for a canister at all, but I wanted to check it out and I'm very skeptical.

I also looked at these new nexx filters but I too am dubious about them....lol

It seems awful expensive to setup for a large tank. You'd need 2 or 3 of the units and that quickly adds up to the cost of a fluval. I only paid $234 for my fx5 after all......

Does seem like a nifty little filter though, the media change out seems awful easy and simple so it might be a good choice for a smaller tank in my opinion anyways. lol

I saw several ads online for it a while ago, but clicking on them got me no where. I couldn't find any of the specs. Do you have them? I will be curious to hear how your experience with the store model goes.

I think the push with this model is the new design and ease of maintenance.

The pump is on the intake itself and the cleanup is extremely simple. The media chamber is gimmicky utilizing premade carbon and sleeves like other canisters but its easy enough to swap out with whatever.

It's not going to compete with the cheap price/performance of the FX5 for larger applications, but then again the FX5 is still ridiculously expensive in the LFS that I've seen who carry it. This unit through online retail is about 1/4 to 1/5 the price of the fx5. I'm sure that it's not meant to be a direct competitor by any means, especially in performance.

I think it'll be a good filter once the price comes down a little more and it is more on par price-wise with the sunsuns and etc.

I'll try to find the specs on it. I like the idea and hope that it'll be updated and adjusted as time goes on to better suit the average fishkeeper.

I'll post some opinions and updates as time goes on, we'll see how it goes.

Okay, I have the information in front of me now. It looks like API is going the 'eco friendly' angle with these two products. Their fish food does not contain fish meal and is stepping away from unsustainable sources.

This is how it reads

Fish meal contributes to the depletion of wild fish stock

MARS fishcare is committed to using protein fish sources that do not compete with human food consumption

API is committed to only using fish protein from Certified sustainable fisheries versus fish meal.

And the product line-

"Vitamin C & E and garlic cocktail for a strengthened immune system.

Essential fatty acid for improved biological functions

Fish protein source from MSC certified fisheries

Additional unique protein sources from polychaete worms, mussels, and pea protein
Contains algae, carotenoid, and other color enhancing ingredients

Enhanced nutritional uptake with prebiotics

Premium ingredients for increased digestibility and reduced waste for a better water quality"

The line has all the basic different types of pellets, flakes, and wafers.

I'm going to see if the rep will give me some samples, if so I will send a small sample at shipping cost to anyone who wants to try it.

Anyway, onto the nexx filter. It says that it has low energy consumption, 11.5W and a filter flow rate of 153gal/hr. The modular design is part of their idea of waste reduction, rather than replace with new, just add on to.

I just got the API Nexx filter, with an extension for 75% off at a going out of business sale. I was planning on a fluval but they were sold out of everything except one Nexx filter. The instructions are pretty vague and easy to misunderstand, a lot of people have leakage issues due to improper installation because of that, but it seems the customers that use them properly are pretty happy with them.

I have a question or two that maybe jetajocky can help me with. I sent API an email but haven't heard back yet.

Looking at the filter, and diagrams, and how the extensions are hooked up, it seems to me like each section is connected in parallel. Is this true? and if so why?

I thought each section was in series when I bought it. I was planning on doing coarse filtering in one side and finer filtering on the other, but if they're parallel that wont work.

Which leads me to third question, (sorry, I know I said 2), what happens if I decide to connect the extension in series instead of parallel? I'm assuming I'll lose flow rate but I'm not sure how that pump works as they say the flow rate increases when you connect the extension in parallel as directed.

Does anyone have experience with switching pumps on this filter, I just recently bought it and was somewhat disappointed with the flow rate. Since the pump is in the tank and hooks up to just a 1/2 inch vinyl tube you think you would be able to change it out right? Any opinions, ideas, or experiences welcome.

I would think you could use a higher flow rate pump. Probably depends on what flow, and pressure rate the modules are rated for. I upgraded the impellers in my rena canister filters with no ill effects. But that is using all rena equipment together. Guess an experiment is in order.

I found a pump that is the same brand and design but just a higher flow rate, I plan on getting one and testing it out, my only worry is problems with the seemingly weak seals (I have not had problems but others have)

Back
Top Bottom