API Rena Filstar Canister Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueramboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys. So if my parents let me, I want to set up a planted 55 gallon community tank. I was looking on craigslist and I saw this filter for only 50 bucks when it was originally 150!! So my question is does anyone have this filter? Does it work? Is it easy to setup (this is my first canister filter)?
Thanks in advance:thanks:

I have three XP3 very nice filters. Easy to set up and very quite. I would be careful buying used.

Heard good things about rena. Needs to be an xp3 really for a 55. But careful when buying used.

I have 2 of the xp1 filters and an xp3, all of them are about 5 years old and still are running like new ones. Very dependable. I would still be very aware of what you are getting with a used one. I think I would want to see it in operation on a tank before buying that way you could check things like good flow, noise, any leaks etc. They are good filters though, love the ones I have. Its a shame they have gone so high in price over the years though. When I bought mine the xp3 brand new was only 89.00

I do not know for sure yet if it is new or used but I will find out. It is the XP2 recommended for up to 75 gallons, do you think this would be okay for a 55 gallon tank?

Not only will it be ok it will be better for a 55. In filter terms you always want a bigger filter than the manufacturers specification. The more filtration the better aslong as the current is controlled in a way that it doesnt blow you fiah around. There are lots of ways of taming the flow if tonstrong aswell. Seriously Go bigger if you can. A bigger filter means less cleaning.

Id fill the bottom basket with lava rock (or other really porous rock, and the top with maybe some filter floss maybe some carbon if you like running carbon then their Rena/API polishing mat on top (it's green and white and made for the xp filters)
I have the xp4 and that's basically how I run mine on a full reef tank and it keeps my water crystal clear and nearly no nitrates with only minimal maintenance , this is on a 47g column tank.

Back
Top Bottom