Api test kit help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm sooooo excited!! I have got my API liquid kit and have 4 tanks to test when I get home.

Any advice, help or suggestions??! :)
Thanks

Follow the instructions exactly. Let the tests develop for 5 mins no more, no less. And shake the snot out of the nitrate #2 test bottle and the test tube or you could get a false reading. :)

Thank you..
I haven't read into it yet, but upon first looks I see there are several bottles for ammonia, Etc...

What's the reason? See... I can't even wait until I get home to research the booklet and have to know NOW!! LOL

Mumma.of.two said:
Follow the instructions exactly. Let the tests develop for 5 mins no more, no less. And shake the snot out of the nitrate #2 test bottle and the test tube or you could get a false reading. :)

How long to shake? I seem to remember on another thread 1 min each???

ocminpin said:
Thank you..
I haven't read into it yet, but upon first looks I see there are several bottles for ammonia, Etc...

What's the reason? See... I can't even wait until I get home to research the booklet and have to know NOW!! LOL

Yes two for ammonia, one for nitrite, two for nitrate, a low range pH and a high range pH. The ammonia and nitrate need two separate solutions combined to make the test work. I shake all the bottles just to make sure nothing has settled between uses. The nitrate #2 bottle has a powder that settles in the bottom so a lot of shaking and bashing is needed to make sure it has mixed thoroughly enough in the solution before the test.

I wish I had just got the kit long ago, I made the mistake of buying a couple individually because my store was out of the kit. Collecting them individually is so expensive! Will get the kit to replace everything when I start running out. Just read everything carefully before you start the testing. A minute is about right for shaking the tubes, and be sure you have the tube sealed well before you shake. Also be sure your hands don't touch the water in the tube because your skin's oils can alter the results.

ocminpin said:
Uhoh...

29g--

Ph- 8.2
Am- 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 160 ppm deep red

Oh no! PWC, PWC, PWC! You need to get nitrate as low as possible. Under 20ppm is what to aim for. Your weekly PWC haven't been enough. :( Change out some water every few hours (or when you get a chance) over a few days to bring it down. You don't want to do it too fast or it can shock you fish because they are accustomed to the high nitrate. Good luck!

Mumma.of.two said:
Oh no! PWC, PWC, PWC! You need to get nitrate as low as possible. Under 20ppm is what to aim for. Your weekly PWC haven't been enough. :( Change out some water every few hours (or when you get a chance) over a few days to bring it down. You don't want to do it too fast or it can shock you fish because they are accustomed to the high nitrate. Good luck!

I did a 80% and super gravel vac after Cruella gave birth and there was a massive bioload explosion as well as fry parts to get it cleaned up..

I can change water and no gravel vac..
What percentage PWC tonight and how often to get down? And test an Hr later??

For nitrate I filled tank water to line, shook shook the nitrate bottle 2 min... Drops from both bottles... Shook and shook and shook 2 min.. Sat exactly 5 min..
Any error you see that would cause false high??

Sharkbait54 said:
No sounds good. Must be pwc schedule?

Yes... I plan on setting a strict weekly day... I wasn't as regular as I should be. Then not wanting to stress my female who held 52 days added to delaying change.

Back
Top Bottom