API: Test stripes? or Liquid tests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there! I don't know if I'm doing this correctly. This is my first post! But I have a basic question I would like to ask because I don't have any other means of knowing. I have a freshwater tank (recently set up & cycled) and I don't know which form of test is most accurate. I have bought API liquid test for PH and Ammonia, and the API test strips. But when I use them the PH results are almost always different from one another. Liquid says my PH is 7.6 and my stripes say it's 7.0 I don't know which one to follow. Is the test strips ok? Or should I invest more money and get the master liquid tests! :ermm:

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and the API FW Master test kit is going to be one of the most useful tools in your fish keeping setup.

I'd suggest you have the following liquid tests:

Ammo
NitrIte (no2)
NitrAte (no3)
pH (high & low)

EDIT: Welcome Aboard!

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and the API FW Master test kit is going to be one of the most useful tools in your fish keeping setup.

Ammo
NitrIte (no2)
NitrAte (no3)
pH (high & low)

Mr. Limpet is 100% on the money and test stripes are a waste of money. You will never know what is going on in your tank with strips.
I've even tried other Brands of liquid tests and nothing beats the API Master Test Kit for accuracy and consistency.
Just be sure to read the instructions very carefully. Each test needs to be done a little bit different and if you don't do the test exactly like the directions say to it won't work.

Ammo
NitrIte (no2)
NitrAte (no3)
pH (high & low)

+1 Mr. Limpet

Don't even waste your money of inferior test strips ... API test master is the way to go

Def don't use the test strips. The liquid API tests are MUCH more accurate. Also, welcome to the forum and the hobby! :)

Thanks you guys!!!!!! It makes me feel so much better to finally get some advice and feed back about this kind of stuff I don't know anyone personally who likes to keep fish so I feel like I've been all on my own!!!!! Thanks again! I really appreciate it!!! :D

Thanks you guys!!!!!! It makes me feel so much better to finally get some advice and feed back about this kind of stuff I don't know anyone personally who likes to keep fish so I feel like I've been all on my own!!!!! Thanks again! I really appreciate it!!! :D

We're glad to help and you're not alone anymore :D.

The master test kit may seem more expensive than the strips but they save you money in the long run because depending on how many tanks you have or how often you test, the test kit can last for months and months.

Booooo test strips!! haha the API liquid test is waaay better, and i kinda enjoy doing the test! So much satisfaction in a good reading...lol

Booooo test strips!! haha the API liquid test is waaay better, and i kinda enjoy doing the test! So much satisfaction in a good reading...lol

My least favorite color used to be orange. But the first time I saw orange in that test tube I did a little happy :dance:. Seeing orange for the first time
is great feeling.
Your like, I'm :cool:, I'm doing something right, finally :brows:.

Back
Top Bottom