Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

API: Test stripes? or Liquid tests?

Hi there! I don't know if I'm doing this correctly. This is my first post! But I have a basic question I would like to ask because I don't have any other means of knowing. I have a freshwater tank (recently set up & cycled) and I don't know which form of test is most accurate. I have bought API liquid test for PH and Ammonia, and the API test strips. But when I use them the PH results are almost always different from one another. Liquid says my PH is 7.6 and my stripes say it's 7.0 I don't know which one to follow. Is the test strips ok? Or should I invest more money and get the master liquid tests!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and the API FW Master test kit is going to be one of the most useful tools in your fish keeping setup.

I'd suggest you have the following liquid tests:

Ammo
NitrIte (no2)
NitrAte (no3)
pH (high & low)

EDIT: Welcome Aboard!

Old 05-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and the API FW Master test kit is going to be one of the most useful tools in your fish keeping setup.

Ammo
NitrIte (no2)
NitrAte (no3)
pH (high & low)

Mr. Limpet is 100% on the money and test stripes are a waste of money. You will never know what is going on in your tank with strips.
I've even tried other Brands of liquid tests and nothing beats the API Master Test Kit for accuracy and consistency.
Just be sure to read the instructions very carefully. Each test needs to be done a little bit different and if you don't do the test exactly like the directions say to it won't work.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post

Ammo
NitrIte (no2)
NitrAte (no3)
pH (high & low)

+1 Mr. Limpet

Don't even waste your money of inferior test strips ... API test master is the way to go
Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Def don't use the test strips. The liquid API tests are MUCH more accurate. Also, welcome to the forum and the hobby!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks you guys!!!!!! It makes me feel so much better to finally get some advice and feed back about this kind of stuff I don't know anyone personally who likes to keep fish so I feel like I've been all on my own!!!!! Thanks again! I really appreciate it!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesies_87 View Post
Thanks you guys!!!!!! It makes me feel so much better to finally get some advice and feed back about this kind of stuff I don't know anyone personally who likes to keep fish so I feel like I've been all on my own!!!!! Thanks again! I really appreciate it!!!
We're glad to help and you're not alone anymore .
Old 05-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

YAY!!!! Feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders! ^_^ Lol!
Old 05-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

The master test kit may seem more expensive than the strips but they save you money in the long run because depending on how many tanks you have or how often you test, the test kit can last for months and months.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Booooo test strips!! haha the API liquid test is waaay better, and i kinda enjoy doing the test! So much satisfaction in a good reading...lol

Tags
api, test

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com