Aqauaclear 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glock26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an Aqauaclear 50 on my 30 gallon tank. The flow out of filter is pretty strong even at lowest setting.can I put something in front of it to break up water? When my fish get near they get blown away.

Aquaclear Filters

I have an Aqauaclear 50 on my 30 gallon tank. The flow out of filter is pretty strong even at lowest setting.can I put something in front of it to break up water? When my fish get near they get blown away.

Hello glo...

Some will immerse a small house plant in the top of the filter. Pothos is a good one. Just remove all the potting mixture and put the roots into the filter with the leaves above the water. It's one way to reduce the water flow.

B

Wont let me open link

Works for mobile (iOS) but may be an issue for the full browser version.
I quoted one of the posts from the thread below. If the pics don’t show up, I can pull them from another source.
A couple of solutions in case raising the water level does not work:

Reducing the flow by diverting it with a plastic water bottle...

Filter Currents: A Betta's Worst Nightmare

Build a lip extension...

Here are some pics for the lip extension for the AC50 ( though it can be applied to most any HOB). You'll need sturdy scissors, pliers, and optionally some form of heat (hot water or a hair dryer). Most LFS sell the plastic strip separately in the lighting supply section. Hopefully the pics are self explanatory. You cut the strip to the width of the HOB spillway. You want to make two bends (the heat helps make the plastic more pliable):
#1. Bend the section of the strip that has the part that grips the glass hood downward about 45 degrees
#2. Bend the strip lengthwise along the middle about 45 degrees upward
Next, use pliers to pinch the part that grips the glass hood in one or two areas. Do not apply too much force. This will allow the lip extension to grip the HOB spillway and not fall into your tank.
You will have to adjust the bends and see what works best with your water level.
IMG_5028.jpgIMG_5029.jpgIMG_5030.jpg
Mind you, this approach will not reduce flow. It will, however, redirect it along the surface depending on the angle of the bends.

Last edited:
I cut the neck off a pepsi bottle and sliced it to the bottom ring. Then I mounted it to the output of my Ac70.The water rolls in the bottle and comes out where the neck was which is facing the side of tank only 2 inches away..This is on my 40b with a couple hundred EBA fry who manage it just fine...

I cut the neck off a pepsi bottle and sliced it to the bottom ring. Then I mounted it to the output of my Ac70.The water rolls in the bottle and comes out where the neck was which is facing the side of tank only 2 inches away..This is on my 40b with a couple hundred EBA fry who manage it just fine...

I am going to have to try this on one of my shrimp tanks. It has an AC50 on it and the volume is 6.6g (don’t hate).

Here is a step by step picture guide.
I drilled the Aqua clear so zip ties could hold the bottle .
Other then that the only special tool I used was a 'tubing cutter' [shown in picture and a GREAT investment] .
Being clear the bottle hides nicely.
R0zTNrgl.jpg

S6oJ0t0l.jpg

^^ Tubing cutter ^^
v6eEU4xl.jpg

After the neck is off it is easy to use scissors an about 1/4 of the bottle away to the bottom rim.
IFTuFX6l.jpg

^^ This is how it sits when in the water ^^
9PwRgZzl.jpg

Here it is in place. I have a 1 inch piece of rigid airline in the middle to help the bottle catch all water...
Good luck fish heads ! This works great for me...:dance:
I love my AquaClears !

Thanks for posting that detailed How-To señor Bandit! I don’t have a tube cutter (seen them at the hardware stores) but I will make do with tin snips or a PVC pipe cutter. Now I need to rummage through the recycling bin.

From time to time my A.C. 30 water flow slows due to the accumulation of gunk inside the intake tube. A simple rinse always solves the problem. Could Glock's problem be solved by inserting a "very" small cutting of an A.C. foam sponge inside the intake tube, wedged between the primary and extension sections? Of course the sponge should be small enough only to obstruct, not a total blockade. This could be a possible alternative to a more difficult water flow deflection solution. Personally I prefer a strong water flow.

I tried the water bottle solution but could not get it to work. So I ended up putting the lip extension under very hot water and bending it to nearly 90 degrees. Water is now diverted to the sides (more to the right than left which is fine) and the shrimp are not blown away on the left side of the tank.
With flat lip extension: View attachment 305834
Bent lip extension: IMG_5037.jpg

I tried the water bottle solution but could not get it to work. So I ended up putting the lip extension under very hot water and bending it to nearly 90 degrees. Water is now diverted to the sides (more to the right than left which is fine) and the shrimp are not blown away on the left side of the tank.
With flat lip extension: View attachment 305834
Bent lip extension: View attachment 305850
I tried this. It worked. Bent 90° cut a few slits to slow water works great. Had to drill holes in extension and filter outlet. Put about half in pieces of zip tie ends through holes to hold it on.No harm done though. Thanks.20171231_091907.jpg20171231_091915.jpg

I tried this. It worked. Bent 90° cut a few slits to slow water works great. Had to drill holes in extension and filter outlet. Put about half in pieces of zip tie ends through holes to hold it on.No harm done though. Thanks.View attachment 305877View attachment 305878
That's one of the reasons I do not like aqua clear filters. Go with a small canister....you will not be disappointed! I use all canisters with a marineland empereror 400 hang on the back....just in case the canister ever fails.

When I used HOBs I had one of these in the tank filled with biomedia right under the output from the HOB. Worked great a diffusing the out flow. IMG_2445.jpg

That's one of the reasons I do not like aqua clear filters. Go with a small canister....you will not be disappointed! I use all canisters with a marineland empereror 400 hang on the back....just in case the canister ever fails.
Canisters arent the only answer. Aquaclears are actually the best on the market and you can actually SEE when they are dirty unlike a canister and you dont have issues of them leaking. Just Saying..

Canisters arent the only answer. Aquaclears are actually the best on the market and you can actually SEE when they are dirty unlike a canister and you dont have issues of them leaking. Just Saying..
Too many issues with water flow and covers popping off and hard to clean. Canisters have trays which are a breeze to separate and rinse. Also, I clean mine every 6 to 8 weeks. Also (knock on wood!), I've never had a canister leak.

I have an AC 110 on my 75g goldfish tank. The flow is so strong that my goldies all stay on the opposite side of the tank. Pardon my ignorance but I'm having a hard time understanding what's being used to attach to the outtake lip part. Is it a plastic strip that connects glass top panels?

Back
Top Bottom