Aqauclear 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glock26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone else have issues with Aqauclear 50 media lifting out of filter? I have foam pad, purigen, and bio balls or whatever the filter comes with can't remember what they're called. Every few days it lifts lid to filter and only foam pad is submerged in filter. Don't know what's going on. Anyone having same issue?

That is the filter saying clean me....
You could try using a sponge to prefilter on the intake.
It may increase time..
Mine pop every 7-10 days on my growout tanks..I feed a lot and have a lot fish in them..
All my aquaclears will announce their need if I slack and don't clean them.
This is part of my belief in how canisters can not be doing the same job with cleanings only 3-6 months by some!!

It may increase time..
Mine pop every 7-10 days on my growout tanks..I feed a lot and have a lot fish in them..
This is part of my belief in how canisters can not be doing the same job with cleanings only 3-6 months by some!!
Ok thanks I just did it last week apparently I need to do it more often. I usually squeeze and rinse sponge in bucket of tank water. But, apparently will have to clean entire thing.

The 70 on my Oscar tank does it too if I'm lazy and don't clean it on a regular basis - I realky need to add a aecond one he is such a pig?

The 70 on my Oscar tank does it too if I'm lazy and don't clean it on a regular basis - I realky need to add a aecond one he is such a pig?
Dirtiest fish I ever owned LOL I had a huge HOB and a canister with my Oscar and still vacuumed weekly. She was worth it, smart fish.

Yup I say "never again" everytime I lose one, but alwaya wnd getting another ?

He's going to become a happy camper in the next week or 2 when he gets out of the 55g he's outgrown into either the 70g I just bought or the 100g I am hoping to be able get

Ok thanks I just did it last week apparently I need to do it more often. I usually squeeze and rinse sponge in bucket of tank water. But, apparently will have to clean entire thing.

A pre-filter will help a lot. Mine seemed to deliberately do that just as I was settling in for the night and was in no mood to clean a filter.

One sign it's soon to happen: look at the water in the intake tube side - it should be flowing smoothly. If it's at all turbulent, it's a sign you have a clogging sponge (the water is rerouting).

It may increase time..

Can you elaborate on using a sponge to prefilter on the intake ?

Can you elaborate on using a sponge to prefilter on the intake ?

Fluval makes cylindrical shaped foam filters for their internal filters. These fit nicely onto the AC50 filter intake tube. They do a great job of trapping debris before it gets to the filter.

I just bought a 3 pack of AC sponge inserts and snipped an opening in the middle of the sponge for the tube - not as pretty as a *shaped* cover, but it's cheap & it works1534331941223.jpg

Back
Top Bottom