Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aqua clear 110 filter

Hi,

Ive decided to go w an Aqua clear 110 hang on filter for my 75. Question does everything come in the box or do i need to purchase something that I dont know about? Thanks for the help

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 01-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CichlidLady0312 View Post
Hi,

Ive decided to go w an Aqua clear 110 hang on filter for my 75. Question does everything come in the box or do i need to purchase something that I dont know about? Thanks for the help

Yes, everything comes in the box.

Though, I wouldn't use the carbon that comes with it. I don't think there's any reason to use carbon, other than to remove medication and tannins. I would go and purchase an extra foam filter insert instead.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Based on what you said here about your stock and the advice to get a canister:

Filtering

I am not sure you have enough filtration there at 6 x versus the 8-10 x filtration people on this forum normally recommend.

I was also worried about dead spots in a large tank like you'll see discussed here,

Optimal Filtration

but I see in one of your other posts you also ordered a powerhead. I assume that should take care of dead spots. It also appears if you attach a sponge to it, you'll get some extra mechanical and biological filtration.

Be aware of the bypass issues on the aquaclears:

AquaClear Bypass Issues

[I had to duct tape the holes on my AC50 get it to work properly .... I have three Fluval C series which are far superior]

Unlike the Fluval C series (too bad they don't make a C5), the AquaClear will not give you crystal clear, polished water "out of the box" because the sponge is not "graduated" and does not get out fine micron particles. To get crystal clear water, most people use tightly packed floss (Sera Wool is the best), usually in lieu of carbon.

Fortunately, the AC70 & 110 have deep enough "media baskets" for lots of media so for chemical filtration, you should use Seachem Purigen. In the end it is cheaper than carbon ...... it lasts 4-6 months and can be re-charged.

Best wishes
Old 01-29-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. Ive also ordered a sun sun stage 5 525 uv sterilizer canister filter

Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
Based on what you said here about your stock and the advice to get a canister:

Filtering

I am not sure you have enough filtration there at 6 x versus the 8-10 x filtration people on this forum normally recommend.

I was also worried about dead spots in a large tank like you'll see discussed here,

Optimal Filtration

but I see in one of your other posts you also ordered a powerhead. I assume that should take care of dead spots. It also appears if you attach a sponge to it, you'll get some extra mechanical and biological filtration.

Be aware of the bypass issues on the aquaclears:

AquaClear Bypass Issues

[I had to duct tape the holes on my AC50 get it to work properly .... I have three Fluval C series which are far superior]

Unlike the Fluval C series (too bad they don't make a C5), the AquaClear will not give you crystal clear, polished water "out of the box" because the sponge is not "graduated" and does not get out fine micron particles. To get crystal clear water, most people use tightly packed floss (Sera Wool is the best), usually in lieu of carbon.

Fortunately, the AC70 & 110 have deep enough "media baskets" for lots of media so for chemical filtration, you should use Seachem Purigen. In the end it is cheaper than carbon ...... it lasts 4-6 months and can be re-charged.

Best wishes
Thanks for the info!!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CichlidLady0312 View Post
Thanks. Ive also ordered a sun sun stage 5 525 uv sterilizer canister filter

WOW - that should do it for you.

Since I am looking at getting a used 55 gallon, I am going to look into something on that order. Let us know how it works out.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I will thanks. I checked Amazon and the reviews were all positive but I will definitely update once my tank is up and running

Old 05-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert90 View Post
Yes, everything comes in the box.

Though, I wouldn't use the carbon that comes with it. I don't think there's any reason to use carbon, other than to remove medication and tannins. I would go and purchase an extra foam filter insert instead.

It comes ready to go just rinse the media set media media shown and you'll be good to go

Tags
clear, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com