Aqua Clear Filter Necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I have got a 20gal and have been running a Prizm skimmer since the first day. But in the mean time I am running an Aqua Clear 20/Mini with the sponge and carbon insert is this necessary? My activated carbon and sponge and Prizm skimmer all have been running since day one. Will the Prizm skimmer itself do up most of the cleaning? Thanks in advance.

I thought it should be the other way round means only run the skimmer without filter. I also heard that using carbon long term will reduce trace element.

Yes, but since you are running both (with my AC, it is a fuge, so no media in it).....I would swap out that carbon for biomedia or macroalgae, eventually.

sorry to sound stupid but what is a fuge? i am still new to saltwater aquarium. thanks.

The sponge will eventually become a nitrate factory, in the AquaClear. If you have corals that like to toxify the water, i.e. leathers, then carbon is an okay idea, but should be changed out regularly. Carbon, some kinds anyway, have been known to leech PO4 into the water. I only use my HOB filter to run carbon, once weekly for a couple of days(to polish and detoxify the water) and for flow. On a tank that size, regular and consistent water changes are the best filtration for you. I would also stay away from bio-balls and the like, they too, over time, will become nitrate factories. HTH!

I have hob's on my smaller tanks but only run them for extra flow. I removed the filter media and replaced it with liverock rubble. This is something you could consider as well.

I use the sponges in my aquaclear as mechanical filtration to sift out the occasional mess I make while messing in the tanks. In an aquaclear, they are super easy to remove and rinse out weekly, which cuts down on the nitrate factor. I only run carbon one week of the month and that is right after a water change. Most of my tanks use liverock for filtration, so I too, use the HOB's as added flow and a means to use carbon etc when necessary. I do not think I would depend on the skimmer solely.

Fluff said:
I have hob's on my smaller tanks but only run them for extra flow. I removed the filter media and replaced it with liverock rubble. This is something you could consider as well.

Precisely what mine have...some LR rubble and macroalgaes....works a treat.

Macro algaes are plants. Things like caulerpa, chaetomorpha, halimeda, etc.
They are great for nutrient export.

Back
Top Bottom