Aqua Clear Filters by Hagen - Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerstud652

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a breand new 45 gallon tank and I have a Rena airpump and a visitherm heater. I wanted to know if a Aqua Clear Filters by Hagen would be a good choice for my filtration.

im thinking you need more watts on your heater.. at least 200, or 2 heaters- one on each side- 100 or 150 a piece. Aqua Clear filters would be a first choice for a hob filter.. but a canister would be the best! Fluval-(verygood) or Eheim(best :)
good luck

i have an aquaclear 70 on my 55 gallon and i love it, i like how you don't have to replace the cartrigas until they wear out, and you can even buy your own media and put whatever you wan't in it.

Have you thought about getting a canister? I am assuming that this tank will house your African Cichlids. They are VERY messy fish and need overfiltering. I'd suggest the Cascade 700 Canister Filter. VERY good brand and excellent filtration. They are totally customizable. Baskets hold whatever you want from carbon to ceramic rings to crushed coral. Then of course the filter floss. But, that's just a suggestion for canisters.

Here's what the Fluval looks like:
thetank1005.jpg

The canister provides similar filtration to the HOB, but it also saves you room in the rear of the tank. It also provides an amazing amount of water flow, which you can adjust to the flow rate you want. You can adjust the outflow to agitate the surface, or have it submerged to lessen CO2 loss (priceless if you have a planted tank).

Here is an example of the "test" run.
thetank2001.jpg

Wow, that is pretty cool. Is it hard to maintence? It looks like maybe it would be.
I see your master test kit, too. hahaha, wish mine was here by now....should be anyday now.

The canisters are not hard to maintain at all. In fact, I do less maintenance on our canisters than on the hob on my 10 gal tank. I have some pics of my Cascade's that I could send you. Basically you shut off all of the water that runs from the tank to the filter and filter to tank, unhook the tubes, pull away the unit, clean it or do whatever you have to do, hook back up the tubes, open the valves, turn back on. Very simple.

The cascade's are VERY quiet. You won't even know that you have a filter running. The thing with hob's is that you can hear them. For 29+ tanks, I'd highly recommend a canister. They keep my tank crystal clear.

The AC filters are very easy to maintain, and economical to own since the sponges last for years, and you can double up on them. They also tell you when to clean the sponges, as water will bypass indicating it is time. Canisters are very good, and have some advantages, but they are more trouble to maintain, in my opinion.

I own 1 Aquaclear 200 and I purchased 2 more today from Big Al's. They are somewhat quiet, easy to maintain, provide more media options, are relatively inexpensive, and simple. I am trying to run nothing but the new Penguin BioWheels and Aquaclears on my tanks. I have no experience with a canister but I think the initial cost is higher than that of most HOB filters.

If you ae going with a HOB powerfilter, then the AquaClear is your best choice, if you instead decide on a canister, then a Rena Filstar or an Eheim are your best choices.

AquaClears are good HOB's...the only ones I use, period.

But for a tank that size, I'd push you towards a canister, specifically a Rena Filstar XP1...or if you plan on having messy fish, an XP2. In fact, just go with the XP2 either way, as it has more room for filter media.

Back
Top Bottom