Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I went to petsupplies plus first and they only had fluval aquaclear..the 70 was 49.95. So then I went down the road to Petsmart. They had C2 and C3's. But no C4's. Instead they had fluval aquaclear 70. So I asked the aquatics employee if they had any C4's in the back. He checked and no luck. Then he checked and they didn't even have a spot on the shelf for them. He said they are probably phasing them out because they didn't sell well. I didnt think that was the case and told him they seem to be really good from reviews ive seen. He said we get mixed reviews and they have some issues. I pointed out you can find the same mixed reviews on the ac70 and most are from broken parts during shipping or not enough knowledge on fishkeeping and filters. But he insisted they have issues and petsmart is probably not carring them anymore.

Anyways, the AC70 they had was on sale for $45.59. Which is about the same as the best price I found online..so thats what I got. They also had fluval air pumps on sale so I grabbed a Q1 with the 2 outlets for $27.59.

Even though they didnt have the C4, overall I'm happy with what I picked up today. And excited to get it all set up. Only need to order my Current sat + led light now. A local place carrys them but at 110 dollars for the 18". Almost 40 dollars more than online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 07-24-2014, 01:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

LOL my tank looks like a jacuzzi the water is bubbling so much at the top. With 2 air stones coming from that Fluval Q1, plus the AC70. And I threw on my Whisper 10i from the 10 gallon to help with the beneficial bacteria. I turned the AC70 down as much as I could but it's mostly the Q1 causing the ruckus. But then again it's a 29g and that thing is rated for 45-80.

Fish seem happy enough though.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I like the way it came out...might put in a few more small decorations to give them some more cover is all.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406178247420.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	244274  
Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Getting optimal results

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStark View Post
Anyways, the AC70 they had was on sale for $45.59. Which is about the same as the best price I found online..so thats what I got .....

That was a good price. If you want crystal clear water for fish with that "swimming in air" look, you will have to do some modifications, primarily because the AquaClear filter sponge is too coarse to remove micron particles. It takes tightly packed floss (SeraWool is best) for that. Also, the carbon is pretty much worthless. Seachem Purigen is a better alternative which you may have already read from users on this forum.

If you want optimal filtration, Thumper828 has tried many configurations and has pristine water with an AC70 on his 36 gallon bowfront. See his post #14 here:

AquaClear Bypass Issues

Best wishes to you.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the issue with the ac ' s on amazon are some are t he actual aquaclear and some are hagen.. I've ordered 4 ac ' s 20,30,50,70.. all are working fine and dandy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
If you want optimal filtration, Thumper828 has tried many configurations and has pristine water with an AC70 on his 36 gallon bowfront. See his post #14 here:

AquaClear Bypass Issues

Best wishes to you.
I think that link is incorrect. It links to an off-topic discussion on cannibalism.

Regarding increasing micro filtration, you can simply use batting wool from walmart's knitting and crocheting section. Cheap and effective. It's basically filter floss. If you go this route, be prepared to clean the floss medium every 12 to 24 hours depending on your bioload, because it will quickly accumulate fine particulates (which means it is doing its job).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcham View Post
I think that link is incorrect. It links to an off-topic discussion on cannibalism.
Anytime I click a link from the App, it takes me to the cannabalism page. But from a PC it works the way it should.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
If you want crystal clear water for fish with that "swimming in air" look, you will have to do some modifications, primarily because the AquaClear filter sponge is too coarse to remove micron particles. It takes tightly packed floss (SeraWool is best) for that. Also, the carbon is pretty much worthless. Seachem Purigen is a better alternative which you may have already read from users on this forum.
I have read about upgrading the media. It didn't all sink in really because I was more concerned with what filter I was buying and figured I'd get around to the media later.
I did grab the ammonia remover insert for the AC70. Because I was having issues with the ammonia levels in my 10 gallon and since the 29g is a new tank I'm expecting some ammonia. So I put that in instead of the carbon. Other than that I'm all stock right now. Thanks for the link, I'll definitely pick up some of that Serawool and Seachem.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

You shouldn't have issues with amm in a cycled tank.. just up the wc's until it drops off. I use cut to fit blue poly pad from the pet store along with.the sponge and biomax.. water is crystal clear..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, I am running the whisper 10 filter in there too to help get it cycling. Would it be better to just throw the insert or sponge into my AC?

Tags
amazon, clear, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com