Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Aqua Clear Filters on Amazon

So I was sure I was going to get an Aqua Clear 70 or 110 for my 29BF after doing some research and seeing all the good reviews.

Today I was planning on placing my order so I'm looking for the best price online and I notice on Amazon they have a disclaimer on the Aquaclear page. It says

Item Under Review While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Then I check out the reviews and click on the 1 stars to see why 72 people gave it 1 star. Alot of people saying they aren't built like they used to be.

Now I'm a bit worried about buying one of these. Was there a timeframe when they were being built of inferior parts or in a factory with poor QC? Or are they just hit and miss and that's the way it is? I'll be making a purchase very soon so it's crunch time for making a decision and this just threw a monkey wrench in my plans.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ignore the negative reviews. I have aquaclear 50, 70, 110, all purchased between Feb 2014 and today. All of them are problem free. The newest reviews on Amazon have been positive. Most of the complaints seem unreasonable to me. For example, one person wanted a cartridge style filter medium that could all be conveniently discarded without needing to wash anything. Clearly someone who has never head of the nitrogen cycle or biological filter...

Old 07-23-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, the disclaimer from Amazon kind of freaked me out a bit. After reading through all of the 1 and 2 star reviews, I see your point.

At least half of them seem to be people who don't know what they are doing, or had a problem with shipping breaking their filter.

The other half have issues with either the motor quitting out of nowhere or the impeller being noisy, stopping, or breaking.

There are way more 5 star reviews than 1 and 2 star. I guess I could be unlucky and get a cracked one from shipping or a bad impeller, but it seems the odds are definitely in my favor of getting a good one.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been using aquaclears for about 30 years now, don't even have any other brands any longer. Check e-bay too, might find a better price there than on Amazon.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Some of the reviews claim that the sponge falls apart and disintegrates rather quickly. This is also not true. It's the same material for the past 20 years. I've even bleached some of my sponges for 5 minutes in 20% Chlorox and they are fine (must completely wash off bleach or it will kill fish!).

Do not squeeze a sponge that has dried up (become crusty) with organics. That will shatter the infrastructure of any sponge. It's like shattering steel that was frozen with liquid nitrogen. Make sure the sponge is thoroughly wet before you squeeze it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Suggestion: Investigate Fluval C4

Both made by the same company, Hagen. Go here and see my post #11

What is the best HOB filter?

The Fluval C series is far more advanced and represents the latest technology. The only reason I got a aquaclear is because of the people on this forum that swear by them. I find custom media in the Fluval C much easier than in the AC. In my opinion, the Fluval C makes and AquaClear an absolute relic from the past.

You might take a look at these pictures of HOB's in my photobucket account:

HOB Filtration Photos by Paul1792 | Photobucket

Good luck whatever you decide.

The only real problem both of these share is they use the same motor (up to AC70) and the motors/impellers are sometimes noisy at first ...... but the problem usually goes away and the chance of a problem with noise is completely random.

If you need an AC110 ...... there is no C5 to compete ...... but there's enough room in there to use floss and Purigen to get crystal clear water.

Best wishes.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I decided not to get the fluval C series because a large minority of verified amazon reviews complained that the impeller chamber frequently gets clogged by bio-slime, possibly due to tighter chamber design. I do not know if this is true but many verified owners mentioned it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow, Ok. I think my mind has been changed. The C series looks great. I'm heading out now to buy at a shop instead of online.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know you changed your mind but in any case, I got my new aqua clear 70 from amazon this week, set it up today and it's working perfectly!

I would go through amazon again. By the way it was thicker than expected but hey, I should have known. I have it mounted on the side of my 29g as I have used whisper in-tank filters up till now and put my tank very close to the wall. Oops
Old 07-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobStark View Post
Wow, Ok. I think my mind has been changed. The C series looks great. I'm heading out now to buy at a shop instead of online.
You can usually get the Fluval C4 for about the same price as AC70 unless there is a super sale at Amazon or Drs Foster & Smith.

I have a C4 and two C3's ....... one from Amazon, two from Drs Foster & Smith ...... I watched the sales and when I bought mine when the C's were the same or less than the AC's. I've seen the reverse thought ...... I think it depends on what's hot or in short supply or over supply at the time.

I hope you love your C4. Since the C4 can perform like a canister, it's worth it even when the price is more.

Tags
amazon, clear, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com