Aqua Clear Sponge/Foam Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairghum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am really disappointed in what Aqua Clear uses for sponge/foam stuff. I simply rinse the things when I do my monthly filter maintenance, but this stuff almost falls apart after a couple of times. Aqua Clear used to provide a more durable foam. Can anyone recommend an alternative to this crap I'm using? Thanks!!!

Your sponges have fallen apart? I've been using the same sponge on my AC70 on my heavily stocked 29g for a year and it's dirty, but structurally sound. I also have an AC50 and AC30 with sponges that are maybe three and six months old. They're also holding up well. I clean them out once or twice a month, repeatedly crushing them flat, and they're still very functional.

Is it possible that you got an old sponge or a sponge that had sat and dried out? Used sponge gets a little crusty and brittle if it dries out completely.

A possible solution for you is filter floss. Many people here use filter floss in their ACs in place of the sponge.

I have to agree with BigJim on this one, I have an AC30, and my sponge holds up very well. It's not terribly old, a couple of months, but it almost looks like new still.

When did you buy your filter? I bought mine two years ago (or more) and I still use the sponge + filter floss + biomax. I have another sponge from another AC50 that is still in great condition (was used for 3+ years).

My AC50 has been in use for 6 months and my sponges are very good. Durable and easy to clean. I would suggest trying another box its possible you got a bad batch.

Sponges

I've had AC filters for several years now. The sponge that came with the first one I bought was way more durable (and made differently) from the ones that came with the later filters I bought. Must say I've used all the sponges for probably 2 years and they're starting to fall apart EXCEPT for the one that came with that original filter. The new ones appear to be more porous than the good old original which is really more "sponge" like (not to compare to being "sponge worthy"- thanks Elaine...).
icon10.gif

i used an ac not sure the model, that was 15 + years old and have been completely dried out many times, and was meant for a 10 to 20 gallon tank and i used mine in an oversticked 29 gallon and the sponge has help up great, the same sponge is in my ac60 right now lol and still good as new.

I've had AC filters for several years now. The sponge that came with the first one I bought was way more durable (and made differently) from the ones that came with the later filters I bought. Must say I've used all the sponges for probably 2 years and they're starting to fall apart EXCEPT for the one that came with that original filter. The new ones appear to be more porous than the good old original which is really more "sponge" like (not to compare to being "sponge worthy"- thanks Elaine...).
icon10.gif
first time i have heard this. the new replacements you seem to have problems with?

AC Foam Sponge Falling Apart?

I am really disappointed in what Aqua Clear uses for sponge/foam stuff. I simply rinse the things when I do my monthly filter maintenance, but this stuff almost falls apart after a couple of times. Aqua Clear used to provide a more durable foam. Can anyone recommend an alternative to this crap I'm using? Thanks!!!

You could always stuff poly-fill in a nylon stocking, cut to size and sewn closed instead of the sponge. Or use another bio ring cartridge.

I have 2 sponges and the bio rings in mine and have not had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom