Aqua Clears noise level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
How quiet are these filters supposed to be? I have had 2 AC50s and 2 AC70s now, and the only one that has been dead silent to the point I have to touch it to see if it works is the first AC50. The other 3 have rattled no matter what I do. I switch impellers and the noisy filters impeller rattles in the quiet AC50. Got a new AC, this time an AC70 and the same thing happened. I had finally had enough and exchanged it for another AC70 and it still makes noise. I have checked the impellers for damage and I can't find anything. I have am at my wites end with this brand. People swear by them, but right now I swear against them. If this most recent one doesn't quiet down by sunday its getting booted and replaced by a sunsun.
My on time delivery to the East Coast has been better than these ACs...

Back to the original question how quiet are these filters for everyone on a scale of 1-10? 1 being you can hear a pin drop next to it and 10 being water splashing from a HOB.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 2 AC50s. I can hear the water falling back in the tank, but not the filter, unless the cover is not on properly. That gives it a humming sound. When that happens, I tap the cover and the sound goes away.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If i put the cover on it is even worse. It sounds life the impeller is hitting something in the motor or in that area but i can't figure it out.

I have 3 70's, 2 in my living room tank, one in my bedroom. The one in the bedroom of course tends to make more noise then the other two. When the impeller starts making noise, sometimes I'll stick my finger in there and push the impeller down because I think it's rattling the piece above it. Or I'll pull the piece above it up a tiny bit. I actually do this with the filter on so I can tell if it worked immediately.
Sometimes if the filter is not level it may make noise.
The only other noise would be the lid rattling like previously mentioned, which I usually put something on top of like my non aquarium plants.

I have 3 70's, 2 in my living room tank, one in my bedroom. The one in the bedroom of course tends to make more noise then the other two. When the impeller starts making noise, sometimes I'll stick my finger in there and push the impeller down because I think it's rattling the piece above it. Or I'll pull the piece above it up a tiny bit. I actually do this with the filter on so I can tell if it worked immediately.
Sometimes if the filter is not level it may make noise.
The only other noise would be the lid rattling like previously mentioned, which I usually put something on top of like my non aquarium plants.

I was going to mention that, too. Have you made sure the filter is level? Try moving the little wheel that levels the filter against the glass. That may be the source of the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It would make sense if the plate was pushed down to far, it seems like the only thing the impeller could hit

Sunday I am getting a sunsun. I tried pushing the impeller down, and messing with the plate above the impeller to no avail. I will not buy or recommend these filters to anyone who can't stand noise.

I have a 30 and a 50 running in my bedroom. They are quiet enough for me to fall asleep but not dead silent. All the 70s and 110s I have had were far from quiet. I'm going to be doing the same as you and getting either sunsun's or fluval canisters. Let me know what you think of the sunsun when you get it.

I have a few ACs, some over 20 years old, and you can't hear any of them. If the filter is noisy check the hole in the impeller to be sure it hasn't gone out of round and check the shaft for wear. As well, make sure there are no bits of metal inside or outside of the impeller. they are magnets and tiny bits of metal can stick to them causing them to run off centre.

I just bought AC70 a few days ago and have it running now. It is in the living room and it is not dead slient. I can heard it all day, a low humming sound. I am not sure if it is a default.

So I'm wondering if recently Hagen/fluval changed manufacturers or something. Mine are older and silent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its really weird and annoying. Last night I have to listen to this filter, hopefully the sunsun is quiet.

I bought one and the motor is loud. It hums. The water outflow hitting the water is silent because I adjust the water level accordingly. The filter is as level as can be. I removed the impeller and the shaft and put Vaseline on both like several videos on youtube advise. This took away the slight rattle sound, but did nothing for the humming. I think it's because it flows 300 gallons per hour. I have an Fluval AC 70 and I bought it a week ago. I run it along side my Marineland Penguin 200. I'm hoping to seed the new AC70 with my slightly older Penguin 200. My water is crystal clear. I know that Fluval is supposed to be Hagen's top tier name. Aquaclear is supposed to be one of the best so it was recently rebranded as Fluval 70. It says Fluval instead of Aquaclear on the lid, and the Box is totally different. I'm not sure if anything has changed in the design. Had I had a chance to do this again, I would have bought the sunsun canister filter. Everyone loves them and I've heard no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom