AQUA Tech power filter 5-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelg210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have searched high and low for a low cost, 5-gallon aquarium kit that includes a cfl lighting, that includes a filter with decent bio area.

I have looked closely at the eclipse systems and various others, and thought I had settled on a marineland manufactured kit sold under Wal-Mart's brand as the Aqua Culture Home Aquarium Starter Kit 5, which comes with the Aqua Tech Power Filter 5 - 15, which does not appear to be adjustable.

Only thing is this is for a betta, and it seems the flow rate is 100 gph, which i think is much too strong, most fiters, depending on brand 100 gph was too strong even in a 10 G tank.

It seemed the max for him was about 7 - 8x per gallon per hour turnover, i.e. 35-40 gph in a 5G tank or 70 - 80 gph in a ten gallon tank.

Also, have not been able to find many reviews, but seems there are a significant portion of the few i could find said it does not work properly, clean all that well, or the impeller has to be cleaned often.

Does anyone have this filter in a 5G with a betta?

Is there anything I can do to slow down the flow rate, (besides cutting the impeller, which I understand has to be done evenly on all blades), i.e. can I stuff some poly-fill in there or something?

Last edited:
Not sure on that one in particular, but as stated above many HOBs you can adjust the flow rate by adjusting the height of the intake tube into the HOB reservoir. You could also jam something in there to limit the flow rate too I guess.

Another thing that's possible is getting some thin lexan or plexi at your hardware store and creating like a ramp that extends off your HOB's return into the tank, thus allowing the water energy to dissipate at the very surface of the tank without increasing the flow velocity into the tank. This allows for you to get the full benefits of the 100gph filtering without the side effects of the water swirling around the tank.

Another option is to get a smaller filter. Azoo makes a palm filter or something that only does about 16gph. Might be lower than you want, but it would accomplish the purpose.

Rena I think makes an 80gph version of their smart filter. Have to confirm that to be sure on the flow rate, but that might work.

I would suggest an AquaClear 20... it will do 100gph, but is adjustable to only flow 30gph (ish)... And to beat it all, its one the (if not the) best HOB filters you can get IMO

Gonna try this again another route

Lifting the intake tube will adjust the flow rate.

Not sure on that one in particular, but as stated above many HOBs you can adjust the flow rate by adjusting the height of the intake tube into the HOB reservoir. You could also jam something in there to limit the flow rate too I guess.
Another thing that's possible is getting some thin lexan or plexi at your hardware store and creating like a ramp that extends off your HOB's return into the tank, thus allowing the water energy to dissipate at the very surface of the tank without increasing the flow velocity into the tank. This allows for you to get the full benefits of the 100gph filtering without the side effects of the water swirling around the tank.

Another option is to get a smaller filter. Azoo makes a palm filter or something that only does about 16gph. Might be lower than you want, but it would accomplish the purpose.

Rena I think makes an 80gph version of their smart filter. Have to confirm that to be sure on the flow rate, but that might work.

I would suggest an AquaClear 20... it will do 100gph, but is adjustable to only flow 30gph (ish)... And to beat it all, its one the (if not the) best HOB filters you can get IMO

Thank you all,

yes, my 10 G has an AC 20, I love it, but they are like $26….. I thought of switching the AC with the Aqua-Tech, if the A-tech is too much for the 5G…..
K, thanks, will try that stuffing something in there, also, had thought of stuffing some poly fill or an old filter foam pad in there…. Perhaps even a bag of the ceramic discs from the AC…..

I can look into that ramp idea, at first I thought you meant like a ramp all the way down to the bottom of the tank, which might look a bit funny in that small of a tank….

Re some of the filters mentioned, yes, Azoo, or even the Duetto has adjustable flow, but I hear they have to be cleaned a lot. Was also thinking of the Red Sea Nano filter, has really good reviews… dunno yet, I was hoping to avoid buying another filter, not so much for me, but the wife thinks I am hooked on the fish thing and spending too much money.

Will also check out the Rena
Ok, will try the lifting the intake tube idea also. if I have questions on it, look for a repost….

Last edited:
Thanks!

I know this thread was a little old, but I followed the advice here with great results! Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom