Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2005, 01:53 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

AquaC Remora question

My AquaC Remora HOB with the MJ1200 is due to arrive on Tuesday. This will be my first skimmer. I have a 26 Gal bow front tank. Anything special I need to know or can I just follow the instructions?

Thanks...

Old 02-12-2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good to see you so exited.

About you question: I don't know. sorry

swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah... make sure you stand on one leg, jump up and down... all while juggling and chewing gum.

Nah... Aqua C is plug-n-play. Just open it up, set it up, and it's ready to run. Only thing to really adjust is the height of the collection cup. Of course read the directions, but it's super easy to setup.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
Funny, I just got mine this past tuesday! All I've heard and read is to give it a good cleaning. Gets rid of some of the contaminants that are caused during manufacturing.
other than that keep it clean, use the brush that comes with it and get a toothbrush too.
HTH
Old 02-12-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

It was easy to set up but I have zillions of bubbles coming back into the tank. The instructions say it is normal for the first couple weeks. I am in my second week.

I DO hope they go away.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
It was easy to set up but I have zillions of bubbles coming back into the tank. The instructions say it is normal for the first couple weeks. I am in my second week.

I DO hope they go away.
Is your tank fully set up and stocked, or are you cycling? I have the AquaC urchin in my sump, and it produced SOME bubbles for about a week with 3 dead shrimp used for cycling. Now they're not noticeable, and if they are present at all my bubble trap seems to be helping. I'm not getting much in the cup - it's all the way down and I'm getting a thin, light brown liquid. I realize that I'll get more when I add the rest of the critters, but so far so good with respect to microbubbles after 2 weeks.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

You made a good choice with the AquaC Remora protein skimmer! I installed one in my 46 gallon tank about two months ago. It took about 2 weeks for it to begin making a noticeable improvement in the water quality, so be patient with it. I have the band on the collection cup set about one inch down from the top. The bubble trap works well to eliminate tank bubbles. Be sure to keep up with water top-offs so the compartment in the bubble trap doesn't run dry.
1 Emperor 280 Bio-Wheel Filter
2 Hagen Aquaclear 802 Powerheads with Quick Filters
1 AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
1 200 watt Heater
52 pounds of Live Rock
2 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Ocelaris Clownfish
1 Hairy Mushroom Coral
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
8 Dwarf Hermit Crabs
10 Turbo Snails
10 Margarita Snails
5 Cerith Snails
5 Bumblebee Snails
1 Queen Conch
johnd4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks everyone for the feedback.....
Old 02-12-2005, 11:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
The bubble trap works well to eliminate tank bubbles. Be sure to keep up with water top-offs so the compartment in the bubble trap doesn't run dry.
We've had the Aqua C skimmer for 2 months and it still runs a lot of micro bubbles. What is this bubble trap? I've never heard of it!

DJ
Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer
Acqua C Remora Pre-Skimmer
75 pounds Live Rock
30" 2x65w Coralife Lunar Aqualights
Diatom Filter
Turbo Twist UV

2 Percula Clowns, Diamond Golby, Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, Lawnmower Blenny, PPmint shrimp, 3 emerald crabs and a huge cleaning crew (snails and crabs)
djmpj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 03:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmpj2
Quote:
The bubble trap works well to eliminate tank bubbles. Be sure to keep up with water top-offs so the compartment in the bubble trap doesn't run dry.
We've had the Aqua C skimmer for 2 months and it still runs a lot of micro bubbles. What is this bubble trap? I've never heard of it!

DJ
It's a black box that water pours into then into your PH then the return water flows into the other side fo the box and out the bottom, trapping all micro bubbles...

Tags
aquac, remora

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com