AquaC Remora skimmer stopped working...need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bodie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been running an AquaC Remora skimmer on a 30 gallon reef tank for a little over a year now and up until about a month ago it was working flawlessly, but unfortunately after performing a water change the skimmer stopped producing waste. I noticed that there was a ring, that was located where the powerhead connects to the skimmer, that was loose and I tried to screw it back into place, but I wasn't sure where it was originally attached to. I'm not sure how long that ring had been loose or where it belongs. I had read on the company's website that the problem could be a blockage or obstruction and that I should unscrew the intake pipe and look for obstructions, but the screw seems to be made of rubber or some sort of plastic and the screwdriver justs digs into the groove of the screw without loosening it. I was originally using the skimmer with the Rio powerhead and thought that might be the problem so I recently switched to a Maxi-Jet 1200 and still no luck. Does anyone know what the problem with my skimmer is? Any help or ideas with getting the screw on the intake pipe loosened or where that ring near the powerhead connection belongs would be appreciated too.

the screw is made of nylon I think. Mine was hard to move too. Be sure you use the biggest screwdriver you can fit in there.

If you get that screw out and take a pipe cleaner or brush of some sort and clean the hole you will most likely fix the problem. That screw is nylon or plastic or something, and pretty soft. What I did was use a big screwdriver and tap it into the plastic, then unscrewed it. After that you dont need to put it in nearly that tight.

HTH

I still haven't had luck getting that screw off. Whenever I put pressure on the screw to twist it, the screw starts to tear and I have to stop twisting. This is really frustrating. I wish they didn't use such a soft material for a screw. Is that the only reason that I could be having problems with the skimmer is a blockage or obstruction in the intake pipe?

Google Aqua-C and shoot them an e-mail. They're very good about answering you back promptly and have been very helpful to me in the past.

I just sent Aqua-C an email because I am having the same problem and this was there response:

"Thanks for the message, I can help out. Please give me your address and I can get a couple of new screws right out to you. The best way to get the screw out is to uses a small drill bit and drill a small hole into the center of the screw. Then you can use something to fish it out that way."

It seems that they are aware of the issue and will send out replacement parts. Guess it's time to start drilling my skimmer!!

tripper

Wow, thanks for the great feedback guys! I think I will drop them an email and ask for a replacement screw. I'm a bit weary about drilling a small hole through the screw because I'm about the worst handyman you'll ever meet, but I guess that's the only option I have left.

Could there be any other reason that my Remora skimmer stopped working? There doesn't seem to be a lot of different parts with this model of skimmer and I can't really think of any other reason that could be the problem, but I'd hate to go through all of this trouble and find out that there was nothing blocking the pipe.

Back
Top Bottom