Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 102
@Link119

Thank you for the through explanation on the filter. Now I'm understanding the whole process better.
__________________

__________________
cwmont13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
barterking85's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,532
Here is a trick I used for my fancy gold fish so you still have max flow without plowing your flakes or pellets to the bottom but getting goldfish to eat from the top takes time and training they like to rummage for food at the bottom.

So I use a pop bottle to reduce the flow I cut of the top and bottom then then cut in half length ways like in picture 1

Then stretch it over the output of the filter with a piece of tape on the filter lid if needed to hold it in place but it's still easy to take off for filter matience as shown in picture 2

Hope this helps you out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1001536299.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	104562   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2468469827.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	104563  

__________________

__________________
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my aquarium gear for what I "SAID" I paid for it.
Ryan
barterking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #23
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAl View Post
Hi Artesia,

I have an AC-50 on a 29-gallon. When new, I remember it making a lot of micro bubbles. Give your filter some time to buid up slime in its internal housing and the bubbles will lessen.

As for the flow, there's very little difference between the min/max output. Try feeding at the farthest point from the output.

It's one heck of a filter, and I wouldn't trade it for any other HOB filter.

David
Hello David,

Thanks so very much for your valued input; some things I would like to continue analyzing with you, if I may:

You mentioned a "slime" buildup in the housing -- this doesn't sound good! Are you referring to some algae buildup within the plastic pieces of the filter, or just bacteria that eventually latches on from uneaten food, waste, etc? My 110 is actually not new -- we bought it about two and a half years ago when we first set up the 60 gallon goldfish tank, but after the bacterial infection wiped out the fantails I had in there, we completely sterilized the tank and filter housings from scratch, making them I suppose "kind of new" again; are you saying that even though I merely cleaned the AquaClear to the point it was nearly new, it still would exhibit new-like characteristics like the micro-bubbles, etc? The thing is, an 18" bubble bar is directly beneath the 110's intake stem, so this causes micro bubbling as well...

Now -- with regard to the flow speed, which was the essential element of this thread, and which you have given me more welcomed insight on...are you saying it's normal that I don't detect that much flow difference between min and max? And are you suggesting I just keep the filter on max output and simply feed on the other side of the tank, where the flow is a bit less chaotic from the secondary filter, an Aqueon QuietFlow 55? It's strange that there are so many stories from other AquaClear owners who claim they can see a definite difference when they switch their units from max to min output; perhaps some of these are just more powerful than others?
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link119 View Post
If the filter is on the lowest setting, the water gets filtered at the same speed, but it is recycled from the end of the filter "basket" and then it is sucked back into the intake from the part of the pump that is not covered by the intake tube. This means that water is being sent through the media at the same rate, but it is being recycled through the media leaving the water with less ammonia with each pass. But, each time the water goes through it has less ammonia than before, so the bacteria are going to be converting the ammonia less and less with each pass. So if the filter is set to 50% intake, for example, then half of the water is from the tank, and would be full of ammonia, and the other half would have much less ammonia. So running the filter at maximum flow, the water that is getting filtered would have more ammonia than the average of the water when set to the lowest setting, therefore running the filter at maximum flow would be the best option. Plus, the mechanical media will be filtering more water with particles in it on full flow.
Unlike cw, I'm confused here, Link...

Based on your explanation, I don't understand why the maximum flow would be the best option; it seems more ammonia gets exposed that way...
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle View Post
Here is a trick I used for my fancy gold fish so you still have max flow without plowing your flakes or pellets to the bottom but getting goldfish to eat from the top takes time and training they like to rummage for food at the bottom.

So I use a pop bottle to reduce the flow I cut of the top and bottom then then cut in half length ways like in picture 1

Then stretch it over the output of the filter with a piece of tape on the filter lid if needed to hold it in place but it's still easy to take off for filter matience as shown in picture 2

Hope this helps you out
I would love to see full pics of your fancy goldfish setup...
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
barterking85's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,532
Here it is 110 gallon 2 fluval 405's, 2 aquaclear 110's, fluval e300 heater, dual port air pump and a gold fantail, Choclate fantail, black moor, ryukin, lionhead, calico fantail, red cap oranda, Pom Pom, and a ranchu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-998783188.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	104659  
__________________
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my aquarium gear for what I "SAID" I paid for it.
Ryan
barterking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #27
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle View Post
Here it is 110 gallon 2 fluval 405's, 2 aquaclear 110's, fluval e300 heater, dual port air pump and a gold fantail, Choclate fantail, black moor, ryukin, lionhead, calico fantail, red cap oranda, Pom Pom, and a ranchu.
Thanks Ryan!

Wow -- now THAT is a large tank!!

I wish I had all that room for some fancies to swim and play in; but boy -- you are really scarcely decorated, huh? Did you not want to do some kind of "theme" in that tank? If I had a tank that big, I would have planned a wicked aquascape...is it because you are housing fancy goldies?

Do you have any closeup pics of your fish and filters in action?
__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
barterking85's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells

Thanks Ryan!

Wow -- now THAT is a large tank!!

I wish I had all that room for some fancies to swim and play in; but boy -- you are really scarcely decorated, huh? Did you not want to do some kind of "theme" in that tank? If I had a tank that big, I would have planned a wicked aquascape...is it because you are housing fancy goldies?

Do you have any closeup pics of your fish and filters in action?
You quickly learn with goldfish less decor it much easier to clean and I don't like castles and stuff like that just plants and terra cotta for me. And yes with fancies poor eye sight you should avoid sharp objects that can poke or tear their fins. Here are a few pics I had on hand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1174971209.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	104689   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3242758853.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	104690  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1232739222.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	104691   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2091326451.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	104693  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3209941144.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	104694  
__________________
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my aquarium gear for what I "SAID" I paid for it.
Ryan
barterking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Link119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Unlike cw, I'm confused here, Link...

Based on your explanation, I don't understand why the maximum flow would be the best option; it seems more ammonia gets exposed that way...
More ammonia is exposed to the bacteria in the media.
__________________
10 Gallon Planted
Link119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle View Post
You quickly learn with goldfish less decor it much easier to clean and I don't like castles and stuff like that just plants and terra cotta for me. And yes with fancies poor eye sight you should avoid sharp objects that can poke or tear their fins. Here are a few pics I had on hand
Oh, I understand about the decor -- I didn't really mean anything rather "cheesy" like castles; but maybe wood, rock caves or perhaps "Asian" themed decor because of the goldfish's habitat...

Thank you for the pics! They are gorgeous and look very happy in their home!
__________________

__________________
ArtesiaWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquaclear, clear, control, flow, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.