Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle View Post
You quickly learn with goldfish less decor it much easier to clean and I don't like castles and stuff like that just plants and terra cotta for me. And yes with fancies poor eye sight you should avoid sharp objects that can poke or tear their fins. Here are a few pics I had on hand
Is your lighting fluorescent?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Are you referring to some algae buildup within the plastic pieces of the filter, or just bacteria that eventually latches on from uneaten food, waste, etc?
Most filters, over time, develop a film of sludge that can coat the internal walls and act as a lubrication. Too much of it is not healthy for the tank and will eventually impede the filter's performance. All of my filters are AquaClear filters and I've noticed that when I run them right out of the box they are usually louder and minute bubbles come out of the output. After a while, say, 30 to 45 days, they run quieter and the bubbles seem to disappear. I can only attribute that to the film that coats the internal walls and mechanism.

I keep all my filters on the plus side. I want water turnover to be at its max setting. The more water that I can run through the biological media per hour, the more nitrifying will take place. However, depending on what I'm feeding, I may decrease the water flow. Sometimes I even shut the filter off; it's connected to a socket that's hooked up to a wall switch (it's like turning a light on and off).

Pick an area in your tank where the water flow is at a minimum and feed your fish in that area every day. Your fish will eventually learn where they are to be fed and will meet you at that spot before you get to the tank.

David

Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #33

Thank you David.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells

Is your lighting fluorescent?
Yeah it's just more stuff to vaccume around I like it simple and Goldie's have a large bioload and toxic gas pockets can form under decor it's only my fancy tank that's simple. And yes I have 4x 4' t-8 lights so I can grow some low light plants for them to munch on as it aids their digestion. Here a a couple pics to show my other tanks just so you don't think I keep them all plain Jane lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3091847395.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	104710   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4172994527.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	104711  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4045451824.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	104713  
Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Yeah it's just more stuff to vaccume around I like it simple and Goldie's have a large bioload and toxic gas pockets can form under decor it's only my fancy tank that's simple.
I think I may have experienced the "toxic gas pockets" syndrome in my last setup -- we weren't doing all that much gravel vacuuming in my 60 gallon fancy setup and this I believe lead to the bacterial infection that wiped out at least two of my beloved fancies, a Red Cap Oranda and a Chocolate variant.

I just can't bring myself to leave my 60 gallon so sparse; we recently introduced a "tree stump" (artificial) decoration into the tank, and this thing takes up most of the left side of the aquarium! It didn't look that big outside the water...

Quote:
And yes I have 4x 4' t-8 lights so I can grow some low light plants for them to munch on as it aids their digestion. Here a a couple pics to show my other tanks just so you don't think I keep them all plain Jane lol
LOL; thanks -- so you run most of them without backgrounds? As far as the lighting goes, do you like fluorescent lighting over a tank? I don't know how I feel about it; I'm running an Aqueon/All Glass fluorescent strip over my 60 gallon, but to me it makes the tank look "cold and sterile" not like the natural habitat these fish come from...on my 10 gallon goldie setup, I have the stock incandescent lamps that came with the hood over it, and that casts a more "yellow" glow to the water, but I'm not sure which one I prefer...
Old 07-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use a solid black painted background it makes the plant and fish colors pop and yes I much prefer fluorescent also needed for plant growth but you can get different color temp bulbs from blue, white, to pinkish hues but I like 6500k for a more daylight natural look and the plants like it too
Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #37

Quote:
I use a solid black painted background it makes the plant and fish colors pop and yes I much prefer fluorescent also needed for plant growth but you can get different color temp bulbs from blue, white, to pinkish hues but I like 6500k for a more daylight natural look and the plants like it too
So 6500k gives the most "daylight natural" look? That's what I have been after -- is this a fluorescent or incandescent light?
Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Fluorescent tube or cfl (spiral bulbs) both have 6500k I am not sure on incandescent
Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #39

What do you mean fluorescent bulbs "have" 6500 -- are ALL fluorescent lamps 6500?
Old 07-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not all are. You might have to go looking, but if the lights are in a lfs they will be 6500k likely...

Tags
aquaclear, clear, control, flow, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com