Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #1

AquaClear 110 "Flow Control" Question...

Those of you familiar with the AquaClear line of HOB's will recall the adjustable return flow lever on the tops of the units, allowing the user to supposedly adjust the flow speed -- however, since the day I had my 110, I have noticed that no matter which way I position the switch, the flow doesn't really change all that much into my tank. In so doing, I simply left the switch in the maximum output position for max flow...

What made me revisit this topic recently was the fact that my one Black Moor goldfish (a small young one) in my cycling 60 gallon has had a hard time with the current being put out from the 110 and during feeding can't seem to follow or grab the flakes fast enough when they're being pushed from the flow of this filter -- thus, I experimented again today with lowering the flow to its "minimum" position. However, still, I cannot see a difference between the minimum flow position and the maximum in terms of water return pressure -- is this normal on the AC's? If not, is it possible I don't have the u-shaped intake pipe installed right into the motor/impeller area?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can lend any insight...

Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can only tell a small difference when I adjust my aqua clear 70's. There have been a few threads started in here showing how other users have showed the output flow odd their Aquaclears. Might try doing a search if you have not already.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
I can only tell a small difference when I adjust my aqua clear 70's. There have been a few threads started in here showing how other users have showed the output flow odd their Aquaclears. Might try doing a search if you have not already.
Hey Rhino,

Thanks for the reply; indeed, perhaps what I am seeing is normal then -- the flow isn't really "dramatically reduced" like Hagen would have you believe...and, perhaps because my 110 is so powerful, the reduced output is even less apparent. Either way, it doesn't really "slow" the output return down enough for the feeding to be easier for the fish like I hoped...

How do you think I should run the filter then -- wide open at max output, in the middle or at minimum flow?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had two of the Aquaclear 70's on a 36 bowfront, which is a rather deep tank and I always ran mine as low as possible to maximize contact time with my bio media. You could always put something on the output, like a small piece of egg crate and I imagine that would help slow all the movement in the tank quite a bit.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have a look at this thread. There's a link in there for a way to slow the flow on the AC filter. It might be an option. Page 3 post #26

Aquaclear tips and tricks
Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmont13 View Post
Have a look at this thread. There's a link in there for a way to slow the flow on the AC filter. It might be an option. Page 3 post #26

Aquaclear tips and tricks
Thanks cw...

I've actually visited this thread when I was Googling this subject one day; the most interesting post came from Library Girl (not sure if that's the specific one you guided me to) who said:

Quote:
The AC's are great filters but personally I find the flow to be high, even on the lowest setting, and it causes (at least for me) a lot of microbubbles in the tank which made the water look cloudy and frustrated me, so I added a filter pad to the outflow of the filter, so the water runs down through the pad into the tank: How to get rid of those tiny bubbles from HOB filters The pad will get dirty very quickly so I change it out every few weeks or so.

Now keep in mind this will reduce splashing and therefore possibly oxygen exchange; I also run a separate canister filter and an air stone. If you use this method with just the AC keep an eye on your fish to ensure they aren't gasping at the top.
Funny thing is, I find the exact same thing about the AquaClear as she did -- that the water return causes microbubbles (even on its lowest setting) in the tank which in turn makes the water appear somewhat cloudy; couple this with the bubble bars already running in my tank, and my water never looks 100 percent "transparent." I, too, find the flow to be too high at minimum output -- however, I'm wondering if it's just how I have the u-shaped tube connected...

But wouldn't I get NO flow at all if something wasn't installed right at the intake level?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
I had two of the Aquaclear 70's on a 36 bowfront, which is a rather deep tank and I always ran mine as low as possible to maximize contact time with my bio media.
I was always confused regarding this tactic -- according to Hagen, by running the filter at its lowest output rate, the water is actually filtered more and more times per hour based on how it's coming in contact with the media. But then, if you read other owners' experiences with these HOB's, they will say you have to run them wide open/at full max output, so I never knew how to run mine...

All I know is that even on its minimum output, my 110 doesn't reduce to the point that the flow is perfect for comfortable feeding or decreased internal splashing -- it's a very minimal difference, if at all, from max to min flow, much like what I gather you experience with your 70 models...do you recommend I just keep my 110 at the lowest flow output (all the way to the right on that knob)?

Do you have any pics of your setup from the filter perspective?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Thanks cw...

I've actually visited this thread when I was Googling this subject one day; the most interesting post came from Library Girl (not sure if that's the specific one you guided me to) who said:

Funny thing is, I find the exact same thing about the AquaClear as she did -- that the water return causes microbubbles (even on its lowest setting) in the tank which in turn makes the water appear somewhat cloudy; couple this with the bubble bars already running in my tank, and my water never looks 100 percent "transparent." I, too, find the flow to be too high at minimum output -- however, I'm wondering if it's just how I have the u-shaped tube connected...

But wouldn't I get NO flow at all if something wasn't installed right at the intake level?
yep that was the same post I was referring to. I'm running the AC50 on my 25 gal which I'm currently doing a fishless cycle on.

Even with the flow at the lowest setting, I get quite a few bubbles too. As soon as my cycle is done and I add some stock to the tank, I might do the mod in the link to slow down the flow a bit if I get too many bubbles. Just have to wait and see I guess.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #9

Gotcha.

Do you find the flow to be pretty strong even at minimum setting for the output?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells
Gotcha.

Do you find the flow to be pretty strong even at minimum setting for the output?
On my 50 there is a visible difference in how fast the water flows out of the filter when you slide the tube from + to -. It's not a lot but you can see it. Even on low there's a lot of movement but not a lot less bubbles. Some of that is because I have the tank water level lower right now to help with my cycle so I'm getting more splash.

Tags
aquaclear, clear, control, flow, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com