Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi28 View Post
The flow rate difference is going to be minimal when you go from low to high but if you think about it increasing water flow even a little bit can cause a big difference in gallons per hour. We look at the amount of water flowing on high and low and we say that's not a big difference but how much water is flowing through the course of a day, week, or even a month how many more gallons would circulate through that filter? But like stated before its not the amount of gallons but how well those gallons are being cleaned and these AC's perform at optimum levels being on the lowest flow rate.
I agree with everything you said expect the last part. I've spoken with the techs several times on the flow rating and other concerns I've had over the years with this filters. The Aqua Clear 110 is designed to perform just a well either way.

Higher or lower is so minimal that it doesn't make a difference. This is coming from techs from the company. I do however understand what your saying and yes it makes sense BUT to say the AC' perform at optimum levels being on the lowest flow rate is false.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
I agree with everything you said expect the last part. I've spoken with the techs several times on the flow rating and other concerns I've had over the years with this filters. The Aqua Clear 110 is designed to perform just a well either way.

Higher or lower is so minimal that it doesn't make a difference. This is coming from techs from the company. I do however understand what your saying and yes it makes sense BUT to say the AC' perform at optimum levels being on the lowest flow rate is false.

That's interesting, is this just with the 110? or is it with all the AC's? Because I have heard that the 110 has a very powerful motor and that it doesn't really make a difference on it. I've never needed one that big so I've never seen one being used on a tank.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi28 View Post

That's interesting, is this just with the 110? or is it with all the AC's? Because I have heard that the 110 has a very powerful motor and that it doesn't really make a difference on it. I've never needed one that big so I've never seen one being used on a tank.
I can only speak for the 110 as its the only one I've used. I've had numerous conversations because I did question a few things but the techs assured me so I'm comfortable with there responses to my questions. Also my tank water is pristine and haven't had any issues. Well... I'm battling ich right now but that's not the filters fault.

It's a great filter for the price. I'm very happy with them. I wasn't thrilled with customer service a week or so back but that was corrected. They even send you replacement parts for free.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #14

Wait a minute, fellas, wait a minute...

Is it the conclusion, now, that the flow control valve on the ACs should NOT be kept all the way over to minimum?

Hagen even states, in the instruction manuals accompanying their filters, that by reducing the flow, more water is filtered in the media basket...
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Wait a minute, fellas, wait a minute...

Is it the conclusion, now, that the flow control valve on the ACs should NOT be kept all the way over to minimum?

Hagen even states, in the instruction manuals accompanying their filters, that by reducing the flow, more water is filtered in the media basket...
Your correct that more water will enter the the basket BUT however it doesn't change how "well" the filter works as far as filtering the water.

Here's the link. If you have doubts you can speak with a tech

http://usa.hagen.com/contactus

I've been using these filters for years. Always on the "high" setting. I never see a difference really in flow rate either way. And my tank is crystal clear. I firmly believe that the system is designed to work and filter your tank water just as good on either setting low or high. As you can see there isn't a significant difference between the two.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Your correct that more water will enter the the basket BUT however it doesn't change how "well" the filter works as far as filtering the water.
That seems to be in direct contradiction to what I have been told and what I have read on nearly countless sites; at any rate, I can reach out to them if the matter was pressing enough, I understand.

Quote:
I've been using these filters for years. Always on the "high" setting. I never see a difference really in flow rate either way. And my tank is crystal clear. I firmly believe that the system is designed to work and filter your tank water just as good on either setting low or high. As you can see there isn't a significant difference between the two.
Oh, I'm not saying that by keeping the flow adjust at maximum the water WON'T or WOULDN'T be crystal-clear; indeed I am sure your water is pristine at the high output setting. It's just that I am questioning, as we have been discussing, the possibility of the water being filtered even more thoroughly at the lowest setting as, according to Hagen's literature included with the products and a plethora of comments online, the water has more of a chance to be recirculated through the media box/basket...
Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

That seems to be in direct contradiction to what I have been told and what I have read on nearly countless sites; at any rate, I can reach out to them if the matter was pressing enough, I understand.

Oh, I'm not saying that by keeping the flow adjust at maximum the water WON'T or WOULDN'T be crystal-clear; indeed I am sure your water is pristine at the high output setting. It's just that I am questioning, as we have been discussing, the possibility of the water being filtered even more thoroughly at the lowest setting as, according to Hagen's literature included with the products and a plethora of comments online, the water has more of a chance to be recirculated through the media box/basket...
While what your last statement may be true in a sense, at the higher setting I'm sure it's doing its job. With the media available, the poly floss etc. I have no doubt any setting would be just fine. But I do understand what your saying though.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #18

So, is there anyone who could add to the AquaClear discussion Convict and I are having regarding the flow control on these HOBs? Essentially, is it "okay" that I keep the flow on mine turned to the minimum to reduce the return flow turbulence for my fancy goldfish...and will this negatively affect filtration?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So, is there anyone who could add to the AquaClear discussion Convict and I are having regarding the flow control on these HOBs? Essentially, is it "okay" that I keep the flow on mine turned to the minimum to reduce the return flow turbulence for my fancy goldfish...and will this negatively affect filtration?
I know you asked for others to chime in lol. But the answer is... It will not effect your filtration negatively

Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #20

Quote:
I know you asked for others to chime in lol. But the answer is... It will not effect your filtration negatively

Tags
aquaclear, clear, control, flow, question, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com