Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtesiaWells View Post
Hey D,

I watched your video about your mixed African tank and the ACs running on it featured in your thread; you have two 110s? And is all that brown material all over the bags with the ceramic rings beneficial bacteria or is it debris?
That's BB and debris. You just rinse in tank water and its gone. Remember I have a very heavily stocked tank. Oh and I use 3 bags of purigen

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
That's BB and debris. You just rinse in tank water and its gone. Remember I have a very heavily stocked tank. Oh and I use 3 bags of purigen
Oh, yeah, I know to rinse in removed tank water during a water change. The thing is, I never know which is the gunk and which is the BB; I always am afraid that by dunking too much the BB will be lost in the removed water...it's always a gamble the way I see it.

I have not done ANY media rinses since starting this tank up a few weeks ago, so the colonies begin building...is this logical?

Good for you with the Purigen; stuff is amazing. I wish I could afford the three pouches I like to run with these two HOBs (one in the Aqueon, two layered in the AquaClear 110).

Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Oh, yeah, I know to rinse in removed tank water during a water change. The thing is, I never know which is the gunk and which is the BB; I always am afraid that by dunking too much the BB will be lost in the removed water...it's always a gamble the way I see it.

I have not done ANY media rinses since starting this tank up a few weeks ago, so the colonies begin building...is this logical?

Good for you with the Purigen; stuff is amazing. I wish I could afford the three pouches I like to run with these two HOBs (one in the Aqueon, two layered in the AquaClear 110).
Yeah my wife thinks I'm crazy cause I buy everything in bulk. I get cases of stuff. And yes your BB colony has begun

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also don't worry about washing away your BB. Your not rinsing your media really hard just swish it around a little and out back.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #35

Where do you buy your Purigen in bulk?

And are you saying I can begin rinsing the media...or leave it for now? Definitely don't change the carbon/floss cartridges in the Aqueon yet, right?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Where do you buy your Purigen in bulk?

And are you saying I can begin rinsing the media...or leave it for now? Definitely don't change the carbon/floss cartridges in the Aqueon yet, right?
My buddy, he owns his own fish shop. He gets me a case of purigen. The bags. I pretty much get everything from him supply wise.

Don't rinse anything now. At water changes I rinse my sponge etc. I don't replace anything but my poly fill.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #37

Quote:
My buddy, he owns his own fish shop. He gets me a case of purigen. The bags. I pretty much get everything from him supply wise.
Well.....SHNAPPPPPPP.....

Can he hook a brotha up?

Seriously...let me know, please, if he ever has any overflow of stock because I can use some Purigen for my tank; as I said, I love the stuff...I normally get the 100ml pouches that just drop right in to the filter...if he ever has any extra that he may just get rid of for whatever reason, please let me know...

Thanks D!

Quote:
Don't rinse anything now. At water changes I rinse my sponge etc. I don't replace anything but my poly fill.
Yes, I was planning on just dunking and rinsing my 110's sponge and even the BioMax pellets in removed tank water; the Aqueon cartridges are another matter -- once the carbon is exhausted in them, I don't know what role they essentially play other than catching the raw debris. That's why I like to change them out when they get BLACK because there are other parts of this filter that house the BB; are you saying just leave all this alone for the time being, as this is a new fresh set up?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leave it all alone. For now....

Old 03-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Leave it all alone. For now....
In the words of someone I know...

"Roger That."
Old 05-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #40

In updating this thread a bit...

So it seems no matter which way I push the little "control nub" atop my AC 110, the flow doesn't change all that much; I know it's been suggested that perhaps my u-tube isn't seated correctly and all the way down into the housing and that I am in the definite minority in terms of owners who can see a clear difference between minimum and maximum output settings on their filters, but I checked the positioning of the tube and all related elements, and it's definitely in there good and right -- and, I definitely do NOT see the flow go from an aggressive ripple wave across the surface of the water on the MAXIMUM setting to a "dribble" on the MINIMUM setting...on my particular 110 model, putting the flow control on its lowest flow setting, all the way to the right, the flow doesn't slow all that much...perhaps just a tad...but this is still creating a ton of current on that side of the tank...

Is there anything short of creating a baffle for this filter's output that I could try? Does anyone else that maybe owns an AquaClear experience this "no change in output" phenomenon with their filter(s)? Should I try a prefilter on the intake strainer?

Tags
aquaclear, clear, control, flow, question, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com