AquaClear (110) Flow Control Valve Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, is there anyone who could add to the AquaClear discussion Convict and I are having regarding the flow control on these HOBs? Essentially, is it "okay" that I keep the flow on mine turned to the minimum to reduce the return flow turbulence for my fancy goldfish...and will this negatively affect filtration? :hide:

Yes that's how I run all my AC's and it will not negatively affect filtration on high or low flows. It's really up to you how much flow you want the filter is made for that kind of thing so keeping it on one setting more than the other is just a personal choice.

Yes that's how I run all my AC's and it will not negatively affect filtration on high or low flows. It's really up to you how much flow you want the filter is made for that kind of thing so keeping it on one setting more than the other is just a personal choice.

Thanks, Yog. (y)

On lower setting water flows through the filter spending more time in contact with the media to allow for cleaning... On higher setting water flows faster through the media not cleaning as much in a single pass but more water flows through it in the run of a day there by giving the same cleaning effect. That's how I always understood it worked. I stuff mine with floss as well as bio so I leave it on high to polish more water. That's the only difference I can see.

On lower setting water flows through the filter spending more time in contact with the media to allow for cleaning... On higher setting water flows faster through the media not cleaning as much in a single pass but more water flows through it in the run of a day there by giving the same cleaning effect. That's how I always understood it worked. I stuff mine with floss as well as bio so I leave it on high to polish more water. That's the only difference I can see.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell. More flow more GPH hence more cleaning and a cleaner tank. More turnover is a good thing and we all want. Lower setting. Less GPH, less turn over but you still get the same filtration effect. In the end I would strive for more turn over (GPH) then your tank in gallons. Hope that made sense.

Both perspectives are understood and logical; my take on it is that by keeping it on the lowest flow rate (all the way to the "-" side), I can perhaps reduce the turbulence caused by the return flow for my delicate fancies. I don't really see it just by looking at it, but I'm hoping it's reduced for them...

BTW D:

Check out the additional theme suggestions and images I provided in my aquascaping thread; I'd be real interested in getting your feedback...

Thanx! (y)

I know this is a little off topic but here are pics of my tank before and after I installed an extra AC70 on a 60 gallon tank. I always wondered how people had such nice crystal clear water.

Attachments

• IMAG0456.jpg
    IMAG0456.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Tank4.jpg
    Tank4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 109
I know this is a little off topic but here are pics of my tank before and after I installed an extra AC70 on a 60 gallon tank. I always wondered how people had such nice crystal clear water.

Looks real good to me!! Nice clear water!

Yeah, I concur; big difference...

I considered doing two AC 110s, but the one 110 plus the Aqueon 55 do a nice job in keeping my water ridiculously clear, though bubble-ridden as it is...(y)

You wanna see really transparent water? Drop some pouches of Seachem Purigen into your media baskets...

Hey D,

I watched your video about your mixed African tank and the ACs running on it featured in your thread; you have two 110s? And is all that brown material all over the bags with the ceramic rings beneficial bacteria or is it debris?

Hey D,

I watched your video about your mixed African tank and the ACs running on it featured in your thread; you have two 110s? And is all that brown material all over the bags with the ceramic rings beneficial bacteria or is it debris?

That's BB and debris. You just rinse in tank water and its gone. Remember I have a very heavily stocked tank. Oh and I use 3 bags of purigen (y)

That's BB and debris. You just rinse in tank water and its gone. Remember I have a very heavily stocked tank. Oh and I use 3 bags of purigen (y)

Oh, yeah, I know to rinse in removed tank water during a water change. :) The thing is, I never know which is the gunk and which is the BB; I always am afraid that by dunking too much the BB will be lost in the removed water...it's always a gamble the way I see it.

I have not done ANY media rinses since starting this tank up a few weeks ago, so the colonies begin building...is this logical?

Good for you with the Purigen; stuff is amazing. I wish I could afford the three pouches I like to run with these two HOBs (one in the Aqueon, two layered in the AquaClear 110). (y)

Oh, yeah, I know to rinse in removed tank water during a water change. :) The thing is, I never know which is the gunk and which is the BB; I always am afraid that by dunking too much the BB will be lost in the removed water...it's always a gamble the way I see it.

I have not done ANY media rinses since starting this tank up a few weeks ago, so the colonies begin building...is this logical?

Good for you with the Purigen; stuff is amazing. I wish I could afford the three pouches I like to run with these two HOBs (one in the Aqueon, two layered in the AquaClear 110). (y)

Yeah my wife thinks I'm crazy cause I buy everything in bulk. I get cases of stuff. And yes your BB colony has begun :)

Also don't worry about washing away your BB. Your not rinsing your media really hard just swish it around a little and out back.

Where do you buy your Purigen in bulk?

And are you saying I can begin rinsing the media...or leave it for now? Definitely don't change the carbon/floss cartridges in the Aqueon yet, right?

Where do you buy your Purigen in bulk?

And are you saying I can begin rinsing the media...or leave it for now? Definitely don't change the carbon/floss cartridges in the Aqueon yet, right?

My buddy, he owns his own fish shop. He gets me a case of purigen. The bags. I pretty much get everything from him supply wise.

Don't rinse anything now. At water changes I rinse my sponge etc. I don't replace anything but my poly fill.

My buddy, he owns his own fish shop. He gets me a case of purigen. The bags. I pretty much get everything from him supply wise.

Well.....SHNAPPPPPPP.....

Can he hook a brotha up? :hide: :brows: :lol:

Seriously...let me know, please, if he ever has any overflow of stock because I can use some Purigen for my tank; as I said, I love the stuff...I normally get the 100ml pouches that just drop right in to the filter...if he ever has any extra that he may just get rid of for whatever reason, please let me know...

Thanks D! (y)

Don't rinse anything now. At water changes I rinse my sponge etc. I don't replace anything but my poly fill.

Yes, I was planning on just dunking and rinsing my 110's sponge and even the BioMax pellets in removed tank water; the Aqueon cartridges are another matter -- once the carbon is exhausted in them, I don't know what role they essentially play other than catching the raw debris. That's why I like to change them out when they get BLACK because there are other parts of this filter that house the BB; are you saying just leave all this alone for the time being, as this is a new fresh set up?

In updating this thread a bit...

So it seems no matter which way I push the little "control nub" atop my AC 110, the flow doesn't change all that much; I know it's been suggested that perhaps my u-tube isn't seated correctly and all the way down into the housing and that I am in the definite minority in terms of owners who can see a clear difference between minimum and maximum output settings on their filters, but I checked the positioning of the tube and all related elements, and it's definitely in there good and right -- and, I definitely do NOT see the flow go from an aggressive ripple wave across the surface of the water on the MAXIMUM setting to a "dribble" on the MINIMUM setting...on my particular 110 model, putting the flow control on its lowest flow setting, all the way to the right, the flow doesn't slow all that much...perhaps just a tad...but this is still creating a ton of current on that side of the tank...

Is there anything short of creating a baffle for this filter's output that I could try? Does anyone else that maybe owns an AquaClear experience this "no change in output" phenomenon with their filter(s)? Should I try a prefilter on the intake strainer?

Back
Top Bottom