AquaClear (110) Flow Control Valve Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In updating this thread a bit...

So it seems no matter which way I push the little "control nub" atop my AC 110, the flow doesn't change all that much; I know it's been suggested that perhaps my u-tube isn't seated correctly and all the way down into the housing and that I am in the definite minority in terms of owners who can see a clear difference between minimum and maximum output settings on their filters, but I checked the positioning of the tube and all related elements, and it's definitely in there good and right -- and, I definitely do NOT see the flow go from an aggressive ripple wave across the surface of the water on the MAXIMUM setting to a "dribble" on the MINIMUM setting...on my particular 110 model, putting the flow control on its lowest flow setting, all the way to the right, the flow doesn't slow all that much...perhaps just a tad...but this is still creating a ton of current on that side of the tank...

Is there anything short of creating a baffle for this filter's output that I could try? Does anyone else that maybe owns an AquaClear experience this "no change in output" phenomenon with their filter(s)? Should I try a prefilter on the intake strainer?

Hmm...that is odd that you do not see a change in flow. I had to replace the u shaped intake tube for an AC50 and the LFS sold me something that should have gone on a smaller model (AC20). Barely fit and saw no real difference in the water flow. Ordered the right piece and now it functions like it should.

Add some poly fill, that should slow it down. Just be cautious of it and make sure you change it out before it gets too dirty.

In updating this thread a bit...

So it seems no matter which way I push the little "control nub" atop my AC 110, the flow doesn't change all that much; I know it's been suggested that perhaps my u-tube isn't seated correctly and all the way down into the housing and that I am in the definite minority in terms of owners who can see a clear difference between minimum and maximum output settings on their filters, but I checked the positioning of the tube and all related elements, and it's definitely in there good and right -- and, I definitely do NOT see the flow go from an aggressive ripple wave across the surface of the water on the MAXIMUM setting to a "dribble" on the MINIMUM setting...on my particular 110 model, putting the flow control on its lowest flow setting, all the way to the right, the flow doesn't slow all that much...perhaps just a tad...but this is still creating a ton of current on that side of the tank...

Is there anything short of creating a baffle for this filter's output that I could try? Does anyone else that maybe owns an AquaClear experience this "no change in output" phenomenon with their filter(s)? Should I try a prefilter on the intake strainer?

Oh, I have heard of folks using floss pads or sponges and to buffer the flow. Output is the same just not directed in the same direction.

Hmm...that is odd that you do not see a change in flow.

I know it's odd; but on the other hand, I have read that there are owners out there who have indeed experienced this as well...that the flow doesn't change all that much when switching the little knob from left to right...

The flow may change a little -- but it definitely does not come out like a "trickle" as many people here have reported...

I had to replace the u shaped intake tube for an AC50 and the LFS sold me something that should have gone on a smaller model (AC20). Barely fit and saw no real difference in the water flow. Ordered the right piece and now it functions like it should.

But this is the same U-shaped tube that came originally out of the box when I bought the 110...

Add some poly fill, that should slow it down. Just be cautious of it and make sure you change it out before it gets too dirty.

But you're not of the opinion that it should run at the LOWEST flow setting, correct?

What if I stuffed two pouches of Purigen in there?

But you're not of the opinion that it should run at the LOWEST flow setting, correct?

What if I stuffed two pouches of Purigen in there?

My opinion as you know and after calling the company is.... Either setting your still getting great filtration no matter what.

I agree that there is little change if any. I leave it on high and that's it. Adding 2 bags of purigen I doubt will do anything as I have 2 pouches in one AC110 now and see no change. Mine are like the rapids.

Try the poly fill....

My opinion as you know and after calling the company is.... Either setting your still getting great filtration no matter what.

I agree that there is little change if any. I leave it on high and that's it. Adding 2 bags of purigen I doubt will do anything as I have 2 pouches in one AC110 now and see no change. Mine are like the rapids.

Try the poly fill....

Well, as has been discussed already, your Chichlids more than likely enjoy the strong current being put out by the 110s at full throttle; my goldfish are another story and are a concern for me. I will consider the pollyfill -- and, I have dispatched another email to Seachem regarding the positioning of the Purigen packets, so when I hear back from them I will report to you their sentiments and/or opinions...

Hmm...that is odd that you do not see a change in flow.

It seems Convict, too, sees no real considerable difference between the MAX and MIN settings on these HOBs; see his comments to me above this post...

It seems Convict, too, sees no real considerable difference between the MAX and MIN settings on these HOBs; see his comments to me above this post...

Honestly I gotta say its pretty impossible to see the difference. Now the Fluval C4 is a different story.

Honestly I gotta say its pretty impossible to see the difference. Now the Fluval C4 is a different story.

The Fluval C4 is a HOB power filter? It's the one with the red inserts within the media basket, right? If so, I've seen a guy on YouTube running these on a goldfish tank with one fancy in it -- those things put out some nice current too...but where do you have the Fluval...is that on your Chichlid tank with the 110s?

The Fluval C4 is a HOB power filter? It's the one with the red inserts within the media basket, right? If so, I've seen a guy on YouTube running these on a goldfish tank with one fancy in it -- those things put out some nice current too...but where do you have the Fluval...is that on your Chichlid tank with the 110s?

It's on my planted cube. I just made a quick video of the 110's hopefully it will shed light on how the flow really doesn't change.

Thanks a million, Dino, for those videos! You were hysterical on the Fluval one; can totally tell you're from the Empire State...lol...I still haven't lost my Long Isle accent...

With regard to the 110 video, yeah, I can see the lack of difference between the low and high settings with regard the flow -- exactly what I'm experiencing. Sorry to hear about your son's high fever, too; I ran DEATHLY high fevers when I was a kid, and sometimes still do...scares the crap out of my wife...

And LOL -- "Dante! Come say hi to YouTube!"

Anyway, I did notice, though, that I get a tremendously stronger ripple with my 110 on my 60 gallon across the surface of the water as compared to your 110s on your tank -- how high do you keep the water level of the tank?

The C4 looks like a really nice HOB, and I may try one of them one day; so you find the flow is very different between LOW and HIGH on the Fluval? Should I just keep my 110 in the middle somewhere with regard to the flow being that I just can't see a difference?

Thanks a million, Dino, for those videos! You were hysterical on the Fluval one; can totally tell you're from the Empire State...lol...I still haven't lost my Long Isle accent...

With regard to the 110 video, yeah, I can see the lack of difference between the low and high settings with regard the flow -- exactly what I'm experiencing. Sorry to hear about your son's high fever, too; I ran DEATHLY high fevers when I was a kid, and sometimes still do...scares the crap out of my wife...

And LOL -- "Dante! Come say hi to YouTube!"

Anyway, I did notice, though, that I get a tremendously stronger ripple with my 110 on my 60 gallon across the surface of the water as compared to your 110s on your tank -- how high do you keep the water level of the tank?

The C4 looks like a really nice HOB, and I may try one of them one day; so you find the flow is very different between LOW and HIGH on the Fluval? Should I just keep my 110 in the middle somewhere with regard to the flow being that I just can't see a difference?

Haha yeah I still have my New York accent lol. Glad you liked the videos. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Fluval C4!!! It broke in and is nice and quite now. It's my number one choice for HOB's but they don't make bigger ones so.... The C4 is like the AC70. They need to make one like the 110.

And yes there is a very noticeable change in flow with the C4

Haha yeah I still have my New York accent lol. Glad you liked the videos. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Fluval C4!!! It broke in and is nice and quite now. It's my number one choice for HOB's but they don't make bigger ones so.... The C4 is like the AC70. They need to make one like the 110.

And yes there is a very noticeable change in flow with the C4

So being that they don't make one bigger than the C4, can multiple C4s be used on a larger tank?

Back
Top Bottom