Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
A second sponge insert will double the mechanical ability and increase the biological capability. In addition you can add a layer of floss between the two inserts for polishing. Carbon doesn't actually polish the water. The term refers to the removal of extremely fine particles. Prior to the renaming of the AC line, the sponges were the bio media. Actually they still are, even with the bio rings.
So, should two sponges be more effective than if I did a second bag of bio-rings in terms of cleaning the water? I realize you said carbon doesn't actually polish the water, and that's good to know, but I don't plan on putting carbon back into the AC anyway (I have carbon cartridges in my Aqueon filter, and plan to keep the Purigen in place for polishing)...

Do you recommend just leaving the one sponge and keeping the Purigen between the sponge and bio-rings, or should I get some more Hagen media such as an additional sponge or sack with ceramic bio max? How often does the sponge need replacing -- never? Just keep rinsing it, as everyone says? Same with the rings?

Quote:
While your parameters may be perfect, because of the Purigen, there are other compounds in the water that are better removed and not tested for. Thus the need to do water changes.
I don't claim my parameters are perfect -- even with the Purigen, as I did a test a couple of weeks ago or so, the numbers still weren't perfect. I just wanted to point out to the other member that other Purigen users have reported zero bad readings across the board when they have put this stuff in their filters, and that there are many who feel this product allows them to cut down tremendously on changes.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

The sponge will need replacing when it starts to disintegrate. If there is room you can use 2 sponges, bio rings and purigen. If there isn't room, leave out the second sponge and try a layer of quilt batting above the sponge.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #13

Thanks very much, Bill.

You don't think I need a second bag of ceramic rings?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD
The sponge will need replacing when it starts to disintegrate. If there is room you can use 2 sponges, bio rings and purigen. If there isn't room, leave out the second sponge and try a layer of quilt batting above the sponge.
+1

Sponge on bottom, wad of Ploy-fil in the middle and bio-media on top. Works like a dream for me and when the poly gets clogged with fine partices I toss and replace it, others get a rinse from time to time.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
+1

Sponge on bottom, wad of Ploy-fil in the middle and bio-media on top. Works like a dream for me and when the poly gets clogged with fine partices I toss and replace it, others get a rinse from time to time.
Thanks Limpet -- okay, so for my situation, I could keep the layering like this:

BOTTOM: Sponge Block
MIDDLE: Bags of Purigen
TOP: Sack of Ceramic Bio Max "Noodles"

...and simply replace the Purigen when it gets exhausted, and then just rinse the rings and sponge from time to time?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter

Thanks Limpet -- okay, so for my situation, I could keep the layering like this:

BOTTOM: Sponge Block
MIDDLE: Bags of Purigen
TOP: Sack of Ceramic Bio Max "Noodles"

...and simply replace the Purigen when it gets exhausted, and then just rinse the rings and sponge from time to time?
Sounds like a good setup, although I've never used Purigen. Can it be recharged? I have a couple bagged chems I use once in awhile and they're rechargeable with aqua salt.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Sounds like a good setup, although I've never used Purigen. Can it be recharged? I have a couple bagged chems I use once in awhile and they're rechargeable with aqua salt.
Yes, the Purigen can be recharged, but the prepackaged 100ml bags are cheap enough to keep replacing in my opinion...

Amazon.com: Purigen 100 Milliliter: Kitchen & Dining
Old 05-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

The bio rings are good, but the second sponge will do pretty much the same job plus add more mechanical filtration. it depends how much space you have in there. With my older ACs I use plastic pot scrubbers for the third layer, with 2 sponges.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
The bio rings are good, but the second sponge will do pretty much the same job plus add more mechanical filtration. it depends how much space you have in there. With my older ACs I use plastic pot scrubbers for the third layer, with 2 sponges.
So are you saying additional sacks of rings are necessary -- beyond the single stock configuration supplied by Hagen in the box?

More "mechanical filtration" means more particles to be trapped, yes? If so, isn't this the same as, or similar to, "polishing" the water?

Tags
aquaclear, clear, maintenance, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com