Aquaclear 110 power outage issue...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeep_n_hog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Setting up a new tank, new to the aquarium world.

Have a 45 gallon, running the aquaclear 110. We had a power failure the other day thanks to a squirrel. This actually happens more frequently than I'm comfortable with.

When the power goes out, the filter empties back into the aquarium requiring re-priming (manual filling, ect) prior to re-starting.

Knowing that we have frequent power outages, is there some sort of backflow preventer I can add to the siphon tube to address this issue should it occur when I'm not home?

Or should I be looking into a battery back up system?

Thanks.

I have several AC 110's, 70's and 20's. I have only had to prime them after water changes.

I routinely turn my filters off during feedings. I forgot to turn on back one today for 2-3 hours. I did not have to re-prime it.

How long of a power outage does it take for it to drain?

If it takes more than a few minutes, I'd be surprised. Thought maybe I missed something during assembly, so I took it apart and started over. Same results when power is shut off.

It shouldnt drain back in the tank if your water level is normal mine just empties the tube but always restarts its self as long as water level is correct

Well like if i am doing water change or something and the water level is lower then normal the filter can't get the water really going but if water level is where its suppose to be it really primes itself fine

I agree to get you water level up as high as you can.

There should be a little piece of plastic on the bottom of the outside of your filter try adjusting it. It may help... may not, but it's worth a try if you haven't already.

I have added water to the tank since the power outage. Didn't even consider that the water level might affect the backflow, but I should have. I'll unplug it this morning and see what happens.

Slightly different topic...Where should the bottom of the siphon tube be in relation to the bottom of the tank? Mine is a good 8 inches or so off the bottom. Is that ok?

While 8 inches from the bottom is fine and may in fact be better if you are using sand, my personal preference is to have it closer.

Setting up a new tank, new to the aquarium world.

Have a 45 gallon, running the aquaclear 110. We had a power failure the other day thanks to a squirrel. This actually happens more frequently than I'm comfortable with.

When the power goes out, the filter empties back into the aquarium requiring re-priming (manual filling, ect) prior to re-starting.

Knowing that we have frequent power outages, is there some sort of backflow preventer I can add to the siphon tube to address this issue should it occur when I'm not home?

Or should I be looking into a battery back up system?

Thanks.

Maybe some underground Conduit...or a Airsoft gun?

Adding the water did the trick. No more back flow from the filter.

Thanks again everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom