Aquaclear 110 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmeunier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 150G FW cichlid tank with two AC110 (500) HOB filters. My problem is that the foam insert, and it's mounting mechanism (the grayish plastic, u-shaped apparatus) keeps rising to the top and out of place. Anyone have any ideas how to stop this, or is this just normal behavior. I've thought about putting some weight on it, but then I thought I may be defeating some purpose I'm not aware of. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jay

There should be two tabs that hold the media basket in place located on the pump side of the media chamber that fir into the slot on the side of the media basket. When you insert the media basket it should click into place, you should have to pull that side of the basket inwards to get it to release.
If these have broken off then a little weight will not hurt IMO.
Are you saturating the sponges with water before insertion?

If the filter has been running for a couple of weeks or more, it is possible that the sponges are becoming clogged with detrirus and require a good rinsing to remove the much that is causing the drag that is causing the filter basket to rise....the mesh bottom of the filter basket may also be becoming clogged. Keep the sponges well-rinsed (at least every two weeks, particularly with waste-intensive fish like cichlids) will keep the media basket and media from rising up like that.

There should be two tabs that hold the media basket in place located on the pump side of the media chamber that fir into the slot on the side of the media basket. When you insert the media basket it should click into place, you should have to pull that side of the basket inwards to get it to release.
If these have broken off then a little weight will not hurt IMO.
Are you saturating the sponges with water before insertion?

I had this problem for a while in my 29 gallon with an AC 70, even though I kept the sponge clean. I ended up using malkore's idea to stack 2 foam blocks together, skip the carbon altogether, and then put the Biomax ceramic pieces on top. I haven't had the problem since. :D

Back
Top Bottom